Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB devices are not being recognised by diskutil

Several months ago my Mackbook Pro 15 (Intel) stopped recognising any USB device. I have tried different devices (flash drives, external SSD), the devices are workable. I have checked them on other Mackbook (Pro 15, Intel as well), they are being connected and work with no problems. Moreover, the devices work even on my Macbook in safe mode, but not in regular one.

FYI. I have already tried PRAM/NVRAM and SMC reset. OS reinstall (not clean as I can not make full backup to external SSD). I also had problems with DMG files launch (they had also stopped being mounted as well), but recently, a Venture 13.0.1 has released, I updated and the DMGs start working OK. But not USB.

What I have investigated for now:

1. System info app displays the device correctly
  2. diskutil does not see the device
  3. everything works OK in safe mode
  4. system log

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2022 2:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 5:00 AM

Unfortunately, I could not do a diagnostic as by holding D on booting, my Mac launches Internet Recovery mode (and after 10 minutes of awaiting returns 2002D error, which means it could not connect to the Apple servers).

But during several reboots I noticed a OS warning, that one of extensions (VMWare) is not compatible with current version of OS. First, I was a bit surprised as I don't use VMWare on this Mac. But after some digging I realised that the VMWare is built in another application SSL VPN Client. I have actually never used it as well as has never worked on latest MacOS versions (since BigSure if I'm not wrong) as it was 32-bit only. And, I was sure I had uninstalled it. But it was still there and was running some background services including built-in VMWare (which might listen USB, Bluetooth, Disk and other system to proxy them into virtual containers). After full uninstall of SSL VPN Client and reboot many issues has gone. My Mac start booting much faster, some occasional issues with Bluetooth are disappeared and USB devices are fixed now.

How to fully uninstall SSL VPN Client

sudo sh /opt/sslvpn-plus/naclient/uninstall_gui.sh
Reboot system

If you still need the SSL VPN Client on you Mac, try to install the latest 64-bit version (as vendor suggests), but I haven't tried by my own.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 5:00 AM in response to kaz-k

Unfortunately, I could not do a diagnostic as by holding D on booting, my Mac launches Internet Recovery mode (and after 10 minutes of awaiting returns 2002D error, which means it could not connect to the Apple servers).

But during several reboots I noticed a OS warning, that one of extensions (VMWare) is not compatible with current version of OS. First, I was a bit surprised as I don't use VMWare on this Mac. But after some digging I realised that the VMWare is built in another application SSL VPN Client. I have actually never used it as well as has never worked on latest MacOS versions (since BigSure if I'm not wrong) as it was 32-bit only. And, I was sure I had uninstalled it. But it was still there and was running some background services including built-in VMWare (which might listen USB, Bluetooth, Disk and other system to proxy them into virtual containers). After full uninstall of SSL VPN Client and reboot many issues has gone. My Mac start booting much faster, some occasional issues with Bluetooth are disappeared and USB devices are fixed now.

How to fully uninstall SSL VPN Client

sudo sh /opt/sslvpn-plus/naclient/uninstall_gui.sh
Reboot system

If you still need the SSL VPN Client on you Mac, try to install the latest 64-bit version (as vendor suggests), but I haven't tried by my own.

USB devices are not being recognised by diskutil

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.