You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPod doesn't appear in my apple music app

How do I restore my iPod?

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 1:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 7:33 PM

Hello BarryKno,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. There are steps that can help when an iPod touch is not appearing on your computer. Our recommendation that can help is to follow these steps:

1. Look in the Finder or iTunes
On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, look for your device in the sidebar of any window in the Finder.*
On a Mac with an earlier version of macOS, look for your device in iTunes.
On a Windows PC with iTunes, look for your device in iTunes.
Learn more about viewing your device on a computer

2. Update the software on all devices
Update your iPhone or iPad
Update your Mac
Update your Windows PC
On your PC you might also need to update iTunes and update drivers.

3. Connect your device directly to your computer
Make sure that your device is unlocked and showing its Home Screen, then use a USB cable to connect it directly to a USB port on your computer. Don't connect to a USB hub or other device. 
If that doesn't help, disconnect your device and all other USB devices and accessories from your computer. Then reconnect only your device. 

4. Trust your computer, if asked
If you see a “Trust this Computer?” alert on your device when you plug your device into your computer, tap Trust.
About the 'Trust This Computer' alert

5. Restart your devices
Restart your iPhone
Restart your iPad
Restart your Mac
Restart your Windows PC

6. Try a different port, cable, or computer
The issue could be related to your computer, its USB port, or the USB cable connecting it to your device. If possible, try a different computer, USB port, or USB cable. Also check for any debris in the charging port on the bottom of your iPhone or iPad.

These steps can help and is outlined here in case you need to reference the steps: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Kind regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 6, 2022 7:33 PM in response to BarryKno

Hello BarryKno,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. There are steps that can help when an iPod touch is not appearing on your computer. Our recommendation that can help is to follow these steps:

1. Look in the Finder or iTunes
On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, look for your device in the sidebar of any window in the Finder.*
On a Mac with an earlier version of macOS, look for your device in iTunes.
On a Windows PC with iTunes, look for your device in iTunes.
Learn more about viewing your device on a computer

2. Update the software on all devices
Update your iPhone or iPad
Update your Mac
Update your Windows PC
On your PC you might also need to update iTunes and update drivers.

3. Connect your device directly to your computer
Make sure that your device is unlocked and showing its Home Screen, then use a USB cable to connect it directly to a USB port on your computer. Don't connect to a USB hub or other device. 
If that doesn't help, disconnect your device and all other USB devices and accessories from your computer. Then reconnect only your device. 

4. Trust your computer, if asked
If you see a “Trust this Computer?” alert on your device when you plug your device into your computer, tap Trust.
About the 'Trust This Computer' alert

5. Restart your devices
Restart your iPhone
Restart your iPad
Restart your Mac
Restart your Windows PC

6. Try a different port, cable, or computer
The issue could be related to your computer, its USB port, or the USB cable connecting it to your device. If possible, try a different computer, USB port, or USB cable. Also check for any debris in the charging port on the bottom of your iPhone or iPad.

These steps can help and is outlined here in case you need to reference the steps: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Dec 7, 2022 6:22 AM in response to bryanr14

Thanks for your reply.

I found those directions on the Apple support site. It didn’t work with my Mac. However, when I connected it to a Windows computer with iTunes, it immediately gave a message, saying my iPod was not formatted correctly for iTunes, would I like to do so.

there must be a bug in Apple Music app.

so my iPod is now working perfectly with just one flaw. The icon that appears for it is a hard drive. I’ve been through all the data I could find for changing the icon. Nothing has worked.

my iPod doesn't appear in my apple music app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.