Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(Some) previously purchased music not showing up on iPhone13

Some but not all of my music uploaded previously from CD's, appears and is available in my MacBook music library, and shows as copied to my iPhone 13, but they do not show up in my iPhone's music library in any of the modes (Artist, Songs, etc).

Running Monterey 12.6.1 on my MacBook and 16.1.2 in my iPhone 13 mini. Suggested 'sync' fields/toggles/screens in related threads do not show up in Music on my iPhone, and all attempts to sync via Finder either 'entire music library' or 'selected artists...etc' on my MacBook haven't helped. I've deleted my entire library from my iPhone and re-sync'd, restarted, left the devices paired for 24 hours all multiple times...to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 9:26 AM

Hey 902_ray,

It may be helpful to see where these particular songs or albums are being stored. If files are stored in different locations, perhaps that is the difference in why some are syncing properly and some are not. Try the following from Change where your music files are stored on Mac.

"Locate your Music files

1. In the Music app on your Mac, click Songs in the sidebar.
  2. Do one of the following:
  • Find out where a file is stored: Select the item, then choose Song > Info.
    • The path to the file is shown at the bottom of the File pane (next to location).
  • Show the file in the Finder: Select the item, then choose File > Show in Finder.
    • If you don’t see Show in Finder, the file may be in your music library and not on your computer."

All the best.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 9:26 AM in response to 902_ray

Hey 902_ray,

It may be helpful to see where these particular songs or albums are being stored. If files are stored in different locations, perhaps that is the difference in why some are syncing properly and some are not. Try the following from Change where your music files are stored on Mac.

"Locate your Music files

1. In the Music app on your Mac, click Songs in the sidebar.
  2. Do one of the following:
  • Find out where a file is stored: Select the item, then choose Song > Info.
    • The path to the file is shown at the bottom of the File pane (next to location).
  • Show the file in the Finder: Select the item, then choose File > Show in Finder.
    • If you don’t see Show in Finder, the file may be in your music library and not on your computer."

All the best.

Dec 7, 2022 12:58 PM in response to 902_ray

Hello 902_ray,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having trouble syncing imported music from your Mac to your iPhone. We'd like to help!

You mentioned not seeing any sync options. Does this include the Sync Library option in the Music app? We'd like to have you try to enable Sync Library in the Music app on your Mac, then on your iPhone. This support article explains how: Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

If you don't see this specific option, we recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly for a closer look: Contact - Official Apple Support

Take care.

Dec 7, 2022 5:56 PM in response to bbesspete

Hello bbesspete - there is no sync option/toggle showing in the Music app on my phone, only on my MacBook. As mentioned I've tried to sync via MacBook Finder either as 'entire music library' or 'selected artists...etc' with both devices logged in via Apple ID, left them paired overnight etc...no joy. It's so odd that some of my cd-copied music shows up on my iPhone, very random - hates Roger Waters completely, and most of my Rush collection. I'm sure I'm messing something up. This is my fourth iPhone, 3rd MacBook and I've never had this issue prior moving to a new device. I will try deleting the music in question from my MacBook Music library and uploading again from scratch, then sync etc.

Dec 8, 2022 9:29 AM in response to 902_ray

Apple Music doesn’t co-exist with personal/ripped collections very well. Use instead, a 3rd party app like File Explorer, the basic version of which is free. The pro version works across all devices on your local network on a single license, and also popular cloud services. Both versions are ad-free and come with built-players, can recommend.

(Some) previously purchased music not showing up on iPhone13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.