Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing file extensions "resource fork xattr missing"- native fix or app to find/rename?

My iMac2019 is acting up - first time since initial power up (a monthly occurrence during the 35 y I ran MS Windows machines).

In troubleshooting I discovered that many files lost their extensions - "resource fork xattr missing."

There are ancient threads here addressing this problem and suggesting use of an app (File Buddy, FileList) to find and restore the file names.

None of the recommended apps are in the App Store.

Is there a native way to find and fix these missing extensions or an app in the AppStore to fix? Disk Utility First Aid only notes the occurrence, it doesn't identify the files.

TIA

Intel iMac 2019, Ventura 13.0.1

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 7:19 PM

The file extensions and missing extended attribute in the resource fork is not related to what you found when you searched. All of those utilities you mentioned were for handling the old way of doing things which went away 5 to 10 years ago. If you have disc related issues that can’t be repaired by disk utility, I would erase the drive, reinstall the OS and migrate from your backup.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 7:19 PM in response to JustaCluelessUser

The file extensions and missing extended attribute in the resource fork is not related to what you found when you searched. All of those utilities you mentioned were for handling the old way of doing things which went away 5 to 10 years ago. If you have disc related issues that can’t be repaired by disk utility, I would erase the drive, reinstall the OS and migrate from your backup.

Dec 5, 2022 6:46 PM in response to Barney-15E

I was troubleshooting endless spinning when saving files, Finder not updating file name when files were renamed, apps hanging, and general performance decrement.

I ran Disk Utility/First Aid on the Mac HD and the disk hosting TimeMachine backups.

First Aid completed but noted the loss of file extensions "resource fork xattr missing".

First Aid doesn't fix this problem because I get the error when I rerun First Aid on the repaired disk [see attached log].

I also ran Apple diagnostics (no problems) and EtreCheckPro (no major problems; minor problems: numerous hangs [TextEdit, Pages, Preview, and a couple non-Apple apps], heavy CPU usage [OtherUsersStorageExtension], Heavy I/O usage; excellent performance).

I took care of the accessible things that EtreCheckPro mentioned - removed some residuals from Avast, misc. launch agents and daemons...Will see if that helps.

Unresolved mysteries: OtherUsersStorageExtension and xattr problems.

Dec 5, 2022 7:40 PM in response to JustaCluelessUser

No, neither of those test the things you’re having problems with, but I was talking about file buddy file list of all those resource editor tools from the past. Etrecheck mostly looks at what you have installed and reports on it. Its performance metrics are based on read, write speed, and things like that. Apple diagnostics looks for major hardware faults, not disk corruption. That’s what disk utility is for, but it didn’t help.

Dec 9, 2022 12:15 PM in response to JustaCluelessUser

The SMART status in macOS or Disk Utility does not really tell you anything because it is rare it will ever say "Failed" at least when using a hard drive, because most hard drive failures will never make it to the point where the SMART status will toggle to "Failed". With SSDs, it is usually the opposite, where an SSD's SMART status may say "Failed", but the SSD may still be perfectly fine to use (under a watchful eye anyway). Most SSD failures which I've encountered never have any indication with the SMART status because the SSD's controller is what typically fails and that is not monitored.

Run DriveDX and post the complete text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you have a Fusion Drive setup, then post a report for the hard drive and one for the SSD.

missing file extensions "resource fork xattr missing"- native fix or app to find/rename?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.