Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad fails both restore/upgrade with error 4013

How do I restore my iPad to working condition again?

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 2:01 PM

Tap the Apple support link below.

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

All of that additional info can, also, be found in the Settings app, General settings panel, About.

Your iPad needs sufficient free internal data storage space. At the very least, 7-8 GBs or greater internal, free data storage space.

Is your iPad using a VPN? You need to, temporarily, disable the VPN.

Is your iPad running an iPadOS Beta version? You need to remove/uninstall the iPadOS Beta software before you will be able to install the Apple “officially” released version of an iPadOS upgrade/update.

Also, make sure your iPad is charged to, at least, 50%, or greater, before attempting the iPadOS upgrade/update.

Also, make sure your Mac or Wimdows PC has enough internal/external data storage space.

Best of Luck to You!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 2:01 PM in response to barcode71

Tap the Apple support link below.

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

What is the rated, internal data storage space/capacity of your iPad model and how much of this free, internal data storage capacity is left inside of your iPad model?

All of that additional info can, also, be found in the Settings app, General settings panel, About.

Your iPad needs sufficient free internal data storage space. At the very least, 7-8 GBs or greater internal, free data storage space.

Is your iPad using a VPN? You need to, temporarily, disable the VPN.

Is your iPad running an iPadOS Beta version? You need to remove/uninstall the iPadOS Beta software before you will be able to install the Apple “officially” released version of an iPadOS upgrade/update.

Also, make sure your iPad is charged to, at least, 50%, or greater, before attempting the iPadOS upgrade/update.

Also, make sure your Mac or Wimdows PC has enough internal/external data storage space.

Best of Luck to You!

Dec 5, 2022 2:11 PM in response to MichelPM

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately I've already exhausted the official ways to recover from a 4013 type error with no luck.

The iPad was a 256GB model with about 150-175GB free and was at about 70% battery. Both my macbook and my mac studio had several 100GB free disk.

I'm just a bit surprised that there's no way to reset and restore it to a "factory clean" iPad OS without using a computer. Routers and such often have a secondary copy of their firmware to boot from, enabling recovery from a bad upgrade attempt.

My iPad fails both restore/upgrade with error 4013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.