Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad backup fail - how to restore the device fully?

I foolishly thought that when I performed a backup of my iPad, it actually backed up an image of the SSD - including the operating system.

I did that, then thinking I could trial OS 16 and revert if I didn't like it (I don't), the backup reinstalled the apps and data but kept iOS 16. Not cool.

Now some of my favourite apps no longer work, and honestly I absolutely hate the look and feel of iOS 16.

How do I actually use my previous backup to restore my iPad back to the functionality it had with it's previous (fully working) operating system?

[Edited by Moderator]

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 2:34 PM

An iCloud or iTunes backup will backup your device settings and data - but not the Operating System. iPadOS can be updated with a newer version, or reinstalled to the most recent version supported by the device - but you cannot reinstall an earlier version.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed.

Updates include essential security updates.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 2:34 PM in response to Brian Findlay

An iCloud or iTunes backup will backup your device settings and data - but not the Operating System. iPadOS can be updated with a newer version, or reinstalled to the most recent version supported by the device - but you cannot reinstall an earlier version.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed.

Updates include essential security updates.

iPad backup fail - how to restore the device fully?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.