Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Aperture with Mojave on a newly purchased Mac mini?

Can I use Aperture with Mojave on a newly purchased Mac mini? 2 OSs on the same machine?

My late 2013 iMac is now obsolete. I'm a photohobbyist with 60k photos using Aperture. I'm exploring alternatives: iMac, Mac mini, Macbook, even an iPad.

I'm retired, not looking to make money as a photographer, just like to make/edit photos for my own enjoyment with a good system.

Advice appreciated.

LA

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 5:39 AM

Mojave cannot be run on any of the new Macs and Aperture cannot run on any OS beyond Mojave.

So, the options are:

-Continue using the 2013 iMac until it eventually goes belly up

-Migrate your Aperture libraries to the latest version of the Photos app and use it

(its editing capabilities have grown quite a bit over the years).

-Move on to another platform for processing and managing your images, for example Lightroom

-Find a newer used Mac that can still run Mojave.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 5:39 AM in response to larryfromrosendale

Mojave cannot be run on any of the new Macs and Aperture cannot run on any OS beyond Mojave.

So, the options are:

-Continue using the 2013 iMac until it eventually goes belly up

-Migrate your Aperture libraries to the latest version of the Photos app and use it

(its editing capabilities have grown quite a bit over the years).

-Move on to another platform for processing and managing your images, for example Lightroom

-Find a newer used Mac that can still run Mojave.

Dec 10, 2022 3:49 PM in response to woodmeister50

Thank you for your suggestion. I am exploring the purchase of a used iMac. Suppose a used mid-2020 model has macOS Ventura or Monterey installed; might I be able replace the existing OS with Mojave and expect Aperture to still work satisfactorily?

I guess my question boils down to finding out the most recent MAC model that can still run Mojave & Aperture.

An outlier might be an iPad that can run Mojave & Aperture (how does one find out if such exists?)

Thanks again Woodmeister50. Merry Christmas.

Dec 11, 2022 5:41 AM in response to larryfromrosendale

Since Mojave was released in 2018, any Mac uptown and including 2018 models will work. Early 2019 models will likely work as well. Anything from late 2019 onward will not run Mojave, which was when Catalina was released and Macs of that period onward shipped and could only use Catalina and newer.

However, I would suggest that sooner rather than later you should consider moving to a different app for your image processing as Mojave is no longer supported and is a security risk and also many other apps you use will also eventually no longer be supported.

Can I use Aperture with Mojave on a newly purchased Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.