Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duracell CR2032 won’t work with Air Tag

I was reading another thread discussing the fact that Duracell won’t work with the Air Tags when replacing the battery. I began checking for this information after the Duracell I purchased yesterday wouldn’t work when I tried them. I have now wasted £10. If it is known that ,as a result of the fowl tasting childproof coating that Duracell puts on their button batteries , they don’t work with Air Tags why is it not widely advertised? The battery replacement instructions just say to install a 2032. It is very frustrating. It’s great the Duracell are looking out for the 2800 children who swallow these batteries annually however, they should ensure that the batteries still work prior to selling them.

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 5:16 AM

You could try to return them from the place of purchase, complaining about how they are not fit for your purpose, especially if this is not advice is not given to the consumer on the package.

For what it's worth, Apple's advises in How to replace the battery in your AirTag - Apple Support that: CR2032 batteries with bitterant coatings might not work with AirTag or other battery-powered products, depending on the alignment of the coating in relation to the battery contacts.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 5:16 AM in response to Stacydw

You could try to return them from the place of purchase, complaining about how they are not fit for your purpose, especially if this is not advice is not given to the consumer on the package.

For what it's worth, Apple's advises in How to replace the battery in your AirTag - Apple Support that: CR2032 batteries with bitterant coatings might not work with AirTag or other battery-powered products, depending on the alignment of the coating in relation to the battery contacts.

Dec 20, 2022 3:27 AM in response to Stacydw

I was able to, with some effort, scrub off the bitter coating using rubbing alcohol. Afterwards I was able to use the Duracell batteries as long as I was careful to position it correctly so that the AirTag battery contacts touched the area I had scrubbed. It’s a lot of work but it saves wasting the money I spent on the batteries. I also purchased more Panasonic.

Duracell CR2032 won’t work with Air Tag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.