Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assign Apps to Specific Desktop Space

Does anyone know how to assign an app for a specific desktop screen all the time? For example, I would like Outlook to be assigned to desktop 1 and safari to be assigned to desktop 2. This used to be possible by right-clicking on the icon in the dock, but that option was removed with OSX Ventura.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 8:22 AM

As near as I can tell, you have to create new Desktops and drag an app into the one you want. At that point, you can assign it to that specific Desktop by right-clicking its icon and choose "This Desktop".

6 replies

Dec 22, 2022 10:25 AM in response to AppleOmaha

As was already explained, you need to have at least TWO Spaces before any of the options to assign an application to a Space appear. Open Mission Control and a second Space or more.

Also, as far as I can tell, this has not changed, at least since Monterey, but I think it goes way back.

Here is a screenshot. Note: this says "Desktop in Display 1" because I have two displays. Otherwise it would say "This Desktop", as dialabrain explained.

Dec 22, 2022 10:14 AM in response to dialabrain

Unfortunately it is a broken functionality that seems to assign an app to a specific desktop rather than the one you chose, and I've not either seen the option to assign to a desktop more than once.

For example I have my email program on desktop 10 on my second monitor. Under Options it only specified Desktop on Display 2. After each screen save event it would remain there even though most other windows would be on display 1. After the latest update (13.1) it looked like they fixed finally that with all apps still appearing on display 2. But what it did was place the email window on desktop 9. Under Options it also said

After the latest update it said Desktop 9 on Display 2.

If it does work every time then it must be so obscure as to being just as broken. Though I greatly appreciate the effort by @dialabrain who have clearly seen some kind of workability here.

OK, so while typing this I've been messing around with the above and I noticed that now my email window is listed as being on Desktop 10 on Display 2. What I had done was shifting the second display to a different desktop and checking the Options settings on various icons.

Whoa, I decided to repeat with Chrome for Google access (of which I have two windows open) and belongs on Desktop 9 Display 2. Options said None which I've concluded must mean No specific desktop. But when I clicked on Display 2 and the two windows jumped to Desktop 7.

I found that when I try to change the desktop assignment it picks one nbr lower than where it is (and where I want it). I'll try to follow up here if and when I get it figured out.

Dec 22, 2022 10:22 AM in response to Kirian-Senior

Kirian-Senior wrote:

If it does work every time then it must be so obscure as to being just as broken. Though I greatly appreciate the effort by @dialabrain who have clearly seen some kind of workability here.

I heard my name being mention. 😎

FWIW, I have no setup with external monitors so what worked for me may be a different story when using one.

Assign Apps to Specific Desktop Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.