Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot turn on FileVault

Hi to everyone,

i was trying to turn on FileVault on the MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur) but when I click on the button, it does nothing.

I have tried on other devices (also other MacBook Air with the same OS) and it work.

On this MacBook, i have also try to repair the disk with Disk Utility, reboot the Mac but continues to have the same problem. What could I do?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 2:10 AM

As there are two accounts on this computer, it is suggested to Log Out of the " normal user " account and then into the " administrator user "

AFAIK - the ability to turn On FileVault can Only be done for the Administrator Account of this computer

If you can’t turn on FileVault on Mac

If you can’t turn on FileVault for a disk, some of the formatting information on the disk may need repair. Try using Disk Utility to repair the formatting. Disk Utility examines your disk’s formatting information for errors, then repairs any it finds. See Repair a storage device in Disk Utility.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 2:10 AM in response to messedo09

As there are two accounts on this computer, it is suggested to Log Out of the " normal user " account and then into the " administrator user "

AFAIK - the ability to turn On FileVault can Only be done for the Administrator Account of this computer

If you can’t turn on FileVault on Mac

If you can’t turn on FileVault for a disk, some of the formatting information on the disk may need repair. Try using Disk Utility to repair the formatting. Disk Utility examines your disk’s formatting information for errors, then repairs any it finds. See Repair a storage device in Disk Utility.

Dec 7, 2022 2:46 AM in response to messedo09

Then have a few suggestions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . 

2 - Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware / Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

And good luck with this computer issue

Dec 7, 2022 2:00 AM in response to PRP_53

Yes, I have 2 users on this Mac, the first one is a normal user, the other one is an administrator user.

I have tried to turn on FileVault on both users, but with same results...

Could I try to turn it on in safe mode (holding on the Maiusc key for intel processor or holding the power button for apple processor) or I could try with another method?

I cannot turn on FileVault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.