Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault Doesn't Work On My Computer

I'm trying to turn on FileVault on my computer, but I keep getting a window that says I can't use FileVault on my computer or with my operating system. I have a 2009 Mac Pro with 3.33 6-core processors (5,1) and I'm running the last version of Mojave, macOS X 14.6 with updates. I smell a conspiracy by Apple to render my Mac Pro obsolete so I will be forced to buy a new computer. Just kidding...or am I?

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 8:00 PM

Mac Pro 2009 is not supported on Mojave, per Apple.

Mac Pro 2010 and 2012 with Metal graphics are the oldest, per:

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave - Apple Support

How are you trying to enable FileVault, and what is the exact text of the error message?

4 replies

Dec 29, 2019 12:42 PM in response to MrHoffman

Mr. Hoffman:

I have a 2009 Mac Pro with 2010 processor upgrades. Although there are limitations, the computer calls itself a 5,1 version. The 3.33 six-core processors are a 2010 version (5,1), not 2009 (4,1). So, as far as I know (and my computer tells me this on the About This Mac pane), I am running Mojave 14.6 with security updates, the last version before Catalina.

Now, I am trying to enable FileVault through the Security and Privacy Preferences. I didn't know there was another way. I enter my password, unlock the lock, and click on the button that says Turn On FileVault. Then, I get a drop-down pane that says "FileVault cannot be used on this system and operating version," without any further explanation.

FileVault Doesn't Work On My Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.