Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share album

Can I share an album to my shared library?

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 9:44 PM

Shared Albums and Shared Library are separate concepts. They do not intersect.

I wish I could put an Album into a Shared Library and have other users see it, but that's not how Apple defined the initial release of Shared Libraries. I have to define the Album within my own library and include photos from one or both libraries, then each other user has to do their own organization in the same manner.

I would love to be corrected if somebody has superior or more recent knowledge on this matter.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 9:44 PM in response to AZ HB

Shared Albums and Shared Library are separate concepts. They do not intersect.

I wish I could put an Album into a Shared Library and have other users see it, but that's not how Apple defined the initial release of Shared Libraries. I have to define the Album within my own library and include photos from one or both libraries, then each other user has to do their own organization in the same manner.

I would love to be corrected if somebody has superior or more recent knowledge on this matter.

Dec 7, 2022 11:05 PM in response to markwmsn

It is exactly the same limitation as importing from one library to another. The photos or videos will be imported, but not the albums. I would also prefer to be able to share the structure of the shared library, but it might become messy, when viewing both the shared library and the personal library at the same time. This joint view is a great idea, but it might create plenty of duplicate albums, if the albums and folders are shared as well. If someone is sharing just a few photos at a time, which are are in ten or more different albums, and this will add the ten albums to the shared library. The other participants will have to remove them, if they prefer different albums, which might be a lot of work, if each shared photo from the same albums would add the deleted albums back.

I think, having a shared library with a shared structure, would require a truly separate shared library, not integrated with our personal library.

Share album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.