Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Sharing albums within Shared Library: Can I create albums within the shared library and have that album shared with the other members of the shared library?

Can I create albums within the shared library and have that album shared with the other members of the shared library?

I use Shared Albums with others. But can the members of my Shared Library also experience the albums I create within the Library without using the separate Shared Album feature?

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 9:38 AM

No, not yet. With the Shared iCloud Photos Library you can only share the media, the photos and videos, but not the structure of the library.

It is a bit confusing. When you share a photo from your personal iCloud Photos Library, you will still see it in the albums, where you kept the photo. But the subscribers to your shared iCloud Photos Library will be seeing the shared photo, but not the albums.

The advantage of using the Shred Library instead of shared albums would be, that the subscribers will be receiving the photos in the full resolution and can see all metadata. When you edit the shared photo, the adjustments will be updated for the subscribers as well. And the subscribers can also edit the shared photos, or even modify the metadata you added or revert the adjustments. But the subscribers will have to create their now albums. We are not really sharing a library with structure, we are sharing a set of photos and videos.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2023 9:38 AM in response to zsmoore

No, not yet. With the Shared iCloud Photos Library you can only share the media, the photos and videos, but not the structure of the library.

It is a bit confusing. When you share a photo from your personal iCloud Photos Library, you will still see it in the albums, where you kept the photo. But the subscribers to your shared iCloud Photos Library will be seeing the shared photo, but not the albums.

The advantage of using the Shred Library instead of shared albums would be, that the subscribers will be receiving the photos in the full resolution and can see all metadata. When you edit the shared photo, the adjustments will be updated for the subscribers as well. And the subscribers can also edit the shared photos, or even modify the metadata you added or revert the adjustments. But the subscribers will have to create their now albums. We are not really sharing a library with structure, we are sharing a set of photos and videos.

Sharing albums within Shared Library: Can I create albums within the shared library and have that album shared with the other members of the shared library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.