Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make Excel the default for opening spreadsheets

Can't take Numbers opening my spreadsheets by default anymore. I deleted Numbers from LaunchPad. Now how can I set Excel as the default program to open any spreadsheets? I get sent new spreadsheets all the time. I want them all to open in Excel.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2022 3:53 PM

Select any spreadsheet file in Finder > Menu > Info (cmd+i) > Open with: > Excel > Change all. This method can be applied to other file types you might want to change the default program for, such as macOS often has TextEdit or Pages as the default for word processing documents but you might want it to be Word or LibreOffice or any other word processor.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2022 3:53 PM in response to FranzFranz

Select any spreadsheet file in Finder > Menu > Info (cmd+i) > Open with: > Excel > Change all. This method can be applied to other file types you might want to change the default program for, such as macOS often has TextEdit or Pages as the default for word processing documents but you might want it to be Word or LibreOffice or any other word processor.

How to make Excel the default for opening spreadsheets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.