Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme Setup Glitch

I have a long established AirPort network based on an AirPort Extreme A1521. The network was set up with OS 10.13.6. It works just fine with (now) OS 12.6 except ...

I am setting up another AirPort Extreme to work in the network and AirPort Utility (v 6.3.9) will NOT accept the password for the network to do so. I enter the password in the dialog box, hit "Enter" and it just recycles back empty.

What am I missing here?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2022 7:13 PM

I'm not able to duplicate the issue that you are reporting. The second AirPort sets up without any requests for a password at all.

Do you know what the Base Station password of your "main" AirPort might be? It may or may not be the same password as the Wireless Network password. It all depends on how you set up the main Airport originally.

Some users use the same password for both the Base Station and the Wireless Network and some users use a separate password for the Base Station and Wireless Network.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2022 7:13 PM in response to ibcookie

I'm not able to duplicate the issue that you are reporting. The second AirPort sets up without any requests for a password at all.

Do you know what the Base Station password of your "main" AirPort might be? It may or may not be the same password as the Wireless Network password. It all depends on how you set up the main Airport originally.

Some users use the same password for both the Base Station and the Wireless Network and some users use a separate password for the Base Station and Wireless Network.

Dec 7, 2022 6:48 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob - Thanks for your response

The two screen shots will answer most of your questions

The first is the screen after the opening AirPort Utility screen and I've filled in the required information

The second is after I've clicked on "Next" in the previous screen. Fill in the "Password" box, click "OK" and it recycles back again to a blank box

I have done this routine any number of times before with other Mac OSs (and their versions of AirPort Utility) without a problem.

??

Dec 7, 2022 5:27 PM in response to ibcookie

Please take us through the steps that you are trying to use.

If you have one AirPort Extreme set up and you want to add another to the network, you should not need to enter a password at all during the setup.

Will the second AirPort connect to the first using a Wi-Fi connection....or.....a wired Ethernet cable connection?

Is the second AirPort Extreme also the A1521 version?

I just verified this again with a spare AirPort Extreme that I have not used in the last year and it set up just fine without having to enter any password at all.

AirPort Extreme Setup Glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.