Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Model A1379 USB SuperDrive not compatible with the MacBook Air m2 2022

I purchased a Model 2681 MacBook Air m2 2022 13.6-inch in November.  At the time, I also purchased a Model A1379 USB SuperDrive. Turns out that the SuperDrive is not compatible with the new MacBook Air although the Apple salesperson insisted that it would be.  She was wrong and, after a modest hassle, I was able to return it for a refund. I am still looking for a MAC-compatible CD Reader / Burner but haven’t been able to find one that doesn’t carry the baggage of numerous complaints from buyers on Amazon and BestBuy.  I’m hoping that this post will trigger useful insights from the Apple Community!

MacBook Air, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 4:52 PM

mulberry58's answer is very much correct. the apple superdrive is indeed compatible with apple silicon Macs. it just needs to be connected directly to the Mac with an USB-C to USB Adapter for it to work. it will not work when connected through a dock or a hub. I know for a fact that there are many users successfully using them with apple silicon Macs.

but if you would prefer to instead go third party, I would recommend shopping for an external optical drive from OWC’s website. their main focus is selling Mac compatible hardware so you know their products will work as expected with your Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 4:52 PM in response to jhill835

mulberry58's answer is very much correct. the apple superdrive is indeed compatible with apple silicon Macs. it just needs to be connected directly to the Mac with an USB-C to USB Adapter for it to work. it will not work when connected through a dock or a hub. I know for a fact that there are many users successfully using them with apple silicon Macs.

but if you would prefer to instead go third party, I would recommend shopping for an external optical drive from OWC’s website. their main focus is selling Mac compatible hardware so you know their products will work as expected with your Mac.

Model A1379 USB SuperDrive not compatible with the MacBook Air m2 2022

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.