Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want photos to disappear from library when i put them in folders

How do I get a library of the photos I did not place in albums or folders?

I mean, when I put a photo in a folder or album, I want it to disappear from the Library

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 11:51 AM

This is not possible in Photos.

All photos have to be stored in the library. The albums cannot store any photos. They are just holding references to the photos in the library. If you remove a photo from the library, it will vanish from all albums. Folders and subfolders are not holding photos at all; they are just used to structure the list of albums.

To find out, which photos have not yet been added to any album, you could use a smart album (Full > New Smart Album) with the rule "Album is not any". This smart album will show all photos not in any album and update automatically, when you add photos to albums.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 11:51 AM in response to amijai

This is not possible in Photos.

All photos have to be stored in the library. The albums cannot store any photos. They are just holding references to the photos in the library. If you remove a photo from the library, it will vanish from all albums. Folders and subfolders are not holding photos at all; they are just used to structure the list of albums.

To find out, which photos have not yet been added to any album, you could use a smart album (Full > New Smart Album) with the rule "Album is not any". This smart album will show all photos not in any album and update automatically, when you add photos to albums.

I want photos to disappear from library when i put them in folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.