Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Three Dots

How long does it take for Apple to get the hint that the three dots either need to have user control to remove or relocate from the second most touched area on the screen?

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2022 5:05 AM

Key to accessing and controlling (or avoiding) multi-tasking is the small “three-dot” button that is found at the top-centre edge of the screen. This control is core element of the iPadOS15/16 User Interface - that cannot be hidden or suppressed.

More information about using multi-tasking can be found in this support page:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of information about using iPad and its many features. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

As described, I surmise that you are unintentionally triggering the multitasking button when using Safari - this being a one of the more common complaints. Be aware that while text shown in the URL/Address field is centre-justified, you can tap anywhere in this field to edit the website address; as such, if you change your likely conditioned habit of tapping the centre of the field, instead tapping either side, you can completely avoid accidental activation of the “three dot” multitasking button.

Once mastered, the revised multitasking GUI is quite manageable - with inadvertent triggering of the multitasking button being a significantly less frequent occurrence.

Apple do invite submission of constructive comment and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. If you have any specific feedback that you would like Apple to see, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your feelings known. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful to you. If you have a specific issue that I’ve not already covered, if you’d like to provide an outline of the difficulty, I’ll try to offer additional help.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2022 5:05 AM in response to DCMAINE

Key to accessing and controlling (or avoiding) multi-tasking is the small “three-dot” button that is found at the top-centre edge of the screen. This control is core element of the iPadOS15/16 User Interface - that cannot be hidden or suppressed.

More information about using multi-tasking can be found in this support page:

Use multitasking on your iPad - Apple Support

The iPad User Guide is also a rich source of information about using iPad and its many features. The Guide is available both online using a web browser (such as Safari), or as an Apple Books download:

iPad User Guide - Apple Support

https://books.apple.com/book/id1567104892

As described, I surmise that you are unintentionally triggering the multitasking button when using Safari - this being a one of the more common complaints. Be aware that while text shown in the URL/Address field is centre-justified, you can tap anywhere in this field to edit the website address; as such, if you change your likely conditioned habit of tapping the centre of the field, instead tapping either side, you can completely avoid accidental activation of the “three dot” multitasking button.

Once mastered, the revised multitasking GUI is quite manageable - with inadvertent triggering of the multitasking button being a significantly less frequent occurrence.

Apple do invite submission of constructive comment and feature requests via its Product Feedback portal. If you have any specific feedback that you would like Apple to see, this would be the most appropriate channel through which to make your feelings known. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

I hope this information and insight proves to be helpful to you. If you have a specific issue that I’ve not already covered, if you’d like to provide an outline of the difficulty, I’ll try to offer additional help.

The Three Dots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.