Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Ultra workout app not controlling volume from now playing, also greyed out or missing icon and crown doesn't do anything

I recently bought an Apple Watch Ultra and noticed that while working out, when I slide to the right to access the "Now playing", I no longer see the Volume Icon and I am unable to control the volume from there using the crown.

My iPhone is always close to me so it's not a connection issue, since I also tried restarting both devices as well as restored the Watch to see if that would solve the problem, but with no avail.

I'd like to point out that I found a workaround to solve that, which is not ideal, but after swiping right to change from "Workout" to "Now playing", if I press the three dots "..." on the right bottom corner, the volume control magically reappears and I can change it using the crown.

But right after I get back to "Workout" by swiping left, then swipe right again to access "Now playing", the volume control is gone again and the crown is rendered useless.

This problem does not occur with the watch's "Music" app, nor the "Now playing" app alone. It only happens when I am using the "Workout" app and swipe right to change the volume whats playing.

Any ideas of what's happening here?

It seems like an Watch OS 9 bug to me..

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 7:05 AM

An update.

Right after I wrote this, I was trying some more different approaches to solve the issue and turns out I found out the solution to the problem I was having.

I was using a protective plastic/transparent/flexible case on my watch not to get it scratched and I thought "oh whatever, lets try removing this", and BAM, tested the "Workout" app, swiping right to the "Now playing" app and now the volume icon appears again and I was able to controle the volume using the crown.

I know, it's weird, but probably the plastic case was blocking or disturbing some kind of sensor on the watch, so right after I removed it the problem was solved.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2022 7:05 AM in response to Jack.

An update.

Right after I wrote this, I was trying some more different approaches to solve the issue and turns out I found out the solution to the problem I was having.

I was using a protective plastic/transparent/flexible case on my watch not to get it scratched and I thought "oh whatever, lets try removing this", and BAM, tested the "Workout" app, swiping right to the "Now playing" app and now the volume icon appears again and I was able to controle the volume using the crown.

I know, it's weird, but probably the plastic case was blocking or disturbing some kind of sensor on the watch, so right after I removed it the problem was solved.

Apple Watch Ultra workout app not controlling volume from now playing, also greyed out or missing icon and crown doesn't do anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.