Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iPhone

I lost my iPhone i bought on June. The invoice is mine and paid by me . It was borrowed to a third person. The iPhone doesn't have my Apple ID.I asked for it and it was not given to me. I went to the authorities and marked the phone as lost, also it is blocked from the network providers. I want to ask if Apple with the appropriate documents may mark the phone as lost or activate the activation lock. Thank you for your time

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 8:36 AM

If the phone does not have your Apple ID, there is no way for you to mark the phone as lost. Only the person who set up the phone originally using their Apple ID and Password can locate the phone or mark it as lost.

Apple will not assist with a lost or stolen phone, so you will be on your own here.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2022 8:36 AM in response to LOSTIPHONE13PROMAX1TB

If the phone does not have your Apple ID, there is no way for you to mark the phone as lost. Only the person who set up the phone originally using their Apple ID and Password can locate the phone or mark it as lost.

Apple will not assist with a lost or stolen phone, so you will be on your own here.

Dec 10, 2022 9:23 AM in response to LOSTIPHONE13PROMAX1TB

If you tap on Settings on the phone, do you know what name appears at the very top of the next screen?

Whoever that is, they control the phone. You might be able to get the phone back, but it will be useless unless you know the Apple ID and Password of the person who set up the phone originally.

This is how users get permanently locked out of phones they might own.

Dec 10, 2022 9:27 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I don't have the phone in my hands to tap the settings. With the document from the authorities i asked several official resellers and i found out officially who has my phone. Because after it was mentioned lost it went and left a service point of a reseller store. The reseller didn't give it back to me to protect user's personal data.

Lost iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.