Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Allow accessories to connect" dialog disappears right away

I have a Samsung T7 external hard drive that I'm using primarily on my work MacBook Air M1. Today, I wanted to connect the disk to my home MacBook Air M2 and the dialog "Allow accessories to connect" appears but in a fraction of a second disappears and the disk won't appear in Finder. I tried several times with no luck.

In System Settings, I have "Ask for New Accessories". When I changed it to "Always" it worked and I could see the disk but I mean - I'm OK with this dialog popping up for new devices. I consider this as an extra layer of security and I don't want to turn it off just because there's a bug in the system :-(

Could you help me please? What could be the problem? Thank you.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 10, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 11:35 PM

After reading your reply, I realised I didn't try the most basic thing - simply restarting the computer (without safe mode). And it worked. To be honest, I'm not really used to solving problems in macOS by restarting. That's probably why it didn't occur to me in the first place. Thank you for your help anyway and hopefully this might help someone else in the future.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2022 11:35 PM in response to Old Toad

After reading your reply, I realised I didn't try the most basic thing - simply restarting the computer (without safe mode). And it worked. To be honest, I'm not really used to solving problems in macOS by restarting. That's probably why it didn't occur to me in the first place. Thank you for your help anyway and hopefully this might help someone else in the future.

Dec 10, 2022 3:16 PM in response to samuelg0rd0n

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

"Allow accessories to connect" dialog disappears right away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.