External hard drive

Hello.

I bought an external hard drive and plugged it in my macOS monterey 12.5.1. It recognises the external device, but it won't let me do anything. It does work, however, with an usb. The permissions are read and write, which are ok. However, if i try to change it, it doesn't allow me. I've tried disabling the ISP, and still doesn't work. I am not sure what to do. Appreciate the attention.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2023 6:49 AM

Try and see if the harddrive is formatted as macOS journaled or as fat in order to use it. If it is formatted as NTFS, you need to re format it first via disk utility

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 7, 2023 7:03 AM in response to francisca143

FYI - " plugged it in my macOS monterey 12.5.1. "

The current version of Monterey is 12.6.6

The links below should provide additional important information on keeping the computer Up To Date as well as Important Security Updates needed to protect this computer

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

What's new in the updates for macOS Monterey - Apple Support (CA)

Jun 7, 2023 7:21 AM in response to francisca143

If you look very closely at that Software Update Applet from System Preference that is presented with Ventura 13.4

It may also list other Monterey Update too

Personally, very conservative on my part, would suggest updating the Current Monterey 12.5.1 to 12.6.6 First.

From observations and experience, attempting an upGrade to Newer Version of macOS with an Out Dated versions maybe Technically possible.

But and yes but, there are times one wished that have upDated First and only then attempted the upGrade.

Whatever the user decides, make sure to perform a TM Backup Before attempting either the 12.6.6.update or making to Leap of Faith and jumping to Ventura 13.4

External hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.