Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive not showing up(WD My Passport) PLEASE HELP

My macbook doesn't recognize my external drive at all.

It used to work as i've used it before.

It doesn't show up in finder, disk utility or even that Iboysoft thing that i was recommended to download.

It does apparently turn on(it starts making a sound and a light turns on) when plugged, but doesn't appear anywhere

There's important files in there and i really need to get those out.

I'm using a 2017 macbook (13" Mojave 10.14.6) with 2x thunderbolt 3 ports and a cable to connect USB with. It worked yesterday atleast with a different device.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 6:16 AM

4 replies

Dec 4, 2019 8:15 AM in response to OrangeMacpro

Excellent that you got it working again. If it acts up again, consider that Passports have been rather troublesome here historically. As they age they seem to demand more power to turn the platter motor. Eventually they demand more power that a single USB port can deliver.

"Name-brand" external drives seem designed to go on sale every other weekend. My best recommendation is to replace with drives that are better engineered. After fighting "name-brand' for for several years, I now use now use only the OWC line of externals based on recommendations from even more senior contributors here. From my desk chair I can see five trouble-free OWC drive serving three Macs. Yes, they cost more, but that issue pales when I ask myself, " What is my data worth?"

However, I am fully aware that not everyone can afford to toss out the cheap ones and restock with pro models in one fell swoop. There are some workabouts that seem to help improve the Passports' ability to continue working:

1) Formatting: WD drives including Passports usually come formatted for Windows. Even those sold as "for Mac" have odd partition mapping and formatting schemes. If the drive does NOT have to be shared with a Windows computer, erasing and reformatting the drive with Disk Utility often make it more responsive. Select "GUID Partition Map" and, if the external has a mechanical drive, "Mac Extended (HFS+)" for the format.

2) Power: as a big part of the problem is the demand for power, you can boost the power going to the drive by getting a POWERED USB hub (comes with its own independent power supply) and placing it between the drive and the computer. That takes the power demands off the computer's USB ports.

External drive not showing up(WD My Passport) PLEASE HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.