Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit over cellular on iPhone

Hello,

my HomeKit stopped working on my iPhone when I’m not connected to Wi-Fi.

I have restarted my HomePods and Apple TV, logged out of iCloud and log back in, checked all the setting and it would not work.

if my iPhone is one any Wi-Fi and not cellular, everything works fine. As soon as my or my wife’s iPhone are on cellular data, all accessories stop responding.

I’ve tested also on my iPad and seems that the iPad works even on cellular. So this issue is only with the iPhone.

I’m using an iPhone 14 Pro and my wife a 13 Mini. Both on iOS 16.1.2.

anyone else having similar issues recently?

regards

george

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Dec 11, 2022 11:41 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 14, 2022 11:01 PM in response to Chris_D13

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I have updated just now the iPhone to 16.2 and the problem persists. The cellular data for HomeKit is on. I also tried to switch it off and back on and no result. Also to answer your questions below:

1. no error message. All accessories show no response. What is very strange is that if I open my gate using the companion app I also get the HomeKit notification on my iPhone although the accessories appears as no response
  2. updated to 16.2
  3. all companion apps are updated and working with no problem
  4. yes, all of them have latest firmware

again, on my iPad Pro HomeKit works perfectly even on cellular data. Only my iPhone 14pro and my wife’s iPhone 13 mini have this issue

any other ideas?

Dec 14, 2022 12:13 PM in response to RBGL

Hey there RBGL,

Ensure Home has access to cellular data in your iPhone settings, as what you're describing is expected behavior when an app does not have access to cellular data.

To do so, tap Settings > Cellular, then scroll down to Home, and ensure the toggle is showing green. You can see those details here: View or change cellular data settings on iPhone

If the issue persists, let us know the answers to the following questions to help isolate the behavior:

1. Do you see any error messages when you do attempt to use a HomeKit accessory when only using cellular?
  2. You also mentioned that both phones have iOS 16.1.2 installed, but the latest version is iOS 16.2. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update your iPhone or iPad.
  3. Since some HomeKit accessories use a companion app, we also recommend making sure that all apps are up to date: How to manually update apps on your Apple device
  4. Do all HomeKit accessories have the latest firmware updates? If you're unsure of how to check, you'll need to reach out to the manufacturer of each HomeKit accessory to obtain the steps.

Cheers!

HomeKit over cellular on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.