Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you remove activation lock if purchased iPad secondhand?

I recently purchased an estate of personal property from someone who is deceased. I have and iPad that I want to restore for personal use and I can’t because of the activation lock. I have know way of contacting original owner to get them to remove the lock.

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 8:06 AM

Hello T.,

I presume you cannot contact the original owner because the owner is deceased. You only option that I can see would be if you could contact the inheritor of the deceased's estate. That person would have to apply to Apple for control over the person's account and could then remove the lock using the log-in information. Here are some articles you may find useful should you decide to go through with this:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Apple can remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online here --> https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what constitutes proof. This might be similar to what is required in the previous section.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2022 8:06 AM in response to Thankyouinadvance2022

Hello T.,

I presume you cannot contact the original owner because the owner is deceased. You only option that I can see would be if you could contact the inheritor of the deceased's estate. That person would have to apply to Apple for control over the person's account and could then remove the lock using the log-in information. Here are some articles you may find useful should you decide to go through with this:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Apple can remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online here --> https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what constitutes proof. This might be similar to what is required in the previous section.

How do you remove activation lock if purchased iPad secondhand?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.