Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook Messenger Not Working on MacBook Air M2 - Shows Continuous "Getting Started" Loop (Dec 12, 2022)

Hello. This is my first time trying this forum. I have tried sending messages to Meta/App reviews etc, but no success.

I am uable to start the Facebook Messenger on my Macbook Air M2 after installation. It keeps showing the "Getting Started" loop with no end, no login / password input fields. I have tried everything: deleting the App, reinstalling it, restarting the Mac. Please advise if there is a way to fix this error.

Thank you!

MacBook Air, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 1:27 PM

I had the same problem with the FB Messenger on my MacBook Pro M1 and just found a solution via the YouTube clip https://youtu.be/tEoHoDU3lBA - by deleting 'Messenger Desktop.v1' in the login area of the Keychain Access the Messenger app started working again without having to change my user name.

It is all not very logical to me but at least I hope this offers you a solution, HCH11, to this little but oh so irritating problem.

All the best!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2022 1:27 PM in response to HCH11

I had the same problem with the FB Messenger on my MacBook Pro M1 and just found a solution via the YouTube clip https://youtu.be/tEoHoDU3lBA - by deleting 'Messenger Desktop.v1' in the login area of the Keychain Access the Messenger app started working again without having to change my user name.

It is all not very logical to me but at least I hope this offers you a solution, HCH11, to this little but oh so irritating problem.

All the best!

Dec 17, 2022 4:21 PM in response to iGaston

This worked finally, yoohoo!

Initially, system was not allowing me to delete the 'Messenger Desktop.v1', so I followed all the steps shared by @James Brickley and then the last step of deleting the 'Messenger Desktop.v1' shared by @iGaston.

This solution worked perfectly. Thank you very much for very clear and detailed responses to resolve my 'Getting Started' issue with the Facebook Messenger for MacBook Air M2.

Appreciate you both very much!

Dec 14, 2022 4:27 AM in response to HCH11

Okay that eliminates the obvious. Now to dig into the nitty-gritty. When an App installs it may install more than what is found in /Applications. While running Facebook Messenger, I see the following file locations being used as observed by Activity Monitor, Process -> Open Files & Ports.

Delete the Messenger App again and then delete the two folders listed below. Then re-install Facebook Messenger and try again.

~/Library/Containers/com.facebook.archon

~/Library/Group Containers/V9WTTPBFK9.com.facebook.Messenger

Dec 14, 2022 9:44 AM in response to James Brickley

Thank you once again. I tried but still no success. I even tried a little more creativity, such as: I restarted the Mac after deleting the app and the folders (like you suggested), before installing the Messenger App again. There were some additional Messenger & Facebook files within the Folders you had suggested, I deleted them as well in addition to those Folders, emptied the Trash permanently, restarted, and then reinstalled the Facebook Messenger, still no success.

Any other ideas?

Here is a long shot. Do you think there could be some system settings conflicting with the Messenger getting started? Maybe unintentionally, I changed some settings not realizing the aftereffects on an App like Facebook Messenger, or maybe there are some universal factory system settings conflicting with the Messenger getting started.

I appreciate you trying to help. Thank you!

Dec 14, 2022 3:27 PM in response to James Brickley

Creating a new user was a great idea. THANK YOU!! The Messenger is working in the New User. It means there are system settings I must have changed, that's why the Messenger is not working in my main user profile on Mac. Any suggestions on the areas of system settings to look/change to make the Messenger work within my main user profile?

PS: The option key step did not work.

Dec 14, 2022 5:24 PM in response to HCH11

I cannot think of anything you could have changed via system settings that would have broken Facebook Messenger but only in your account on the Mac.

Perhaps you have some malware / adware or some other application this interfering. You could run a scan with EtreCheck (be sure to give it Full Disk Access) and post the report using the Additional Text button on a reply.

Facebook Messenger Not Working on MacBook Air M2 - Shows Continuous "Getting Started" Loop (Dec 12, 2022)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.