Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to completely prevent screen mirroring on MacBook Air with macOS Monterey ?

I would like to find a way to completely disable accidental screen mirroring of my MacBook Air's screen (with macOS Monterey) onto other displays. Or at least a way that would ensure that I would have to go through a number of complex steps to allow me to authorise my computer to export its screen somewhere else.

I work with sensitive personal information about students in my care, and I find it highly worrying/dangerous that a small mis-click in the control panel shown in the attached image can (and already twice today has!) resulted in me sharing my screen with a random person in a neighbouring room. I don't want to EVER screen share without at least one dialog box asking me "Are you sure?" (or similar) to prevent accidental data-privacy breaches.

I already know how to disable OTHERS sharing things to MY screen. That is controlled by SystemPreferences -> Sharing -> ScreenSharing [tickbox enable / disable]. So don't tell me how to do that.

I also know how to turn off a share (of my screen to an external display) if one has already begun. So don't tell me how to do that either.

But please do tell me about any way I can semi-permanently prevent is MY screen being shared to OTHERS which doesn't require me to disconnect from wifi and turn bluetooth off etc. That's too brutal. I can find no suitable controls to configure this -- which is a shame as in all other respects the macbook is quite secure.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 10:22 AM

Screen sharing is a 3 step process. It can't really be accidentally enabled. You need to click on the control center icon, then you need to click on Screen mirroring, then you need to click on a device to screen mirror to.

You can then immediately disable it in the same way.

There is no way to turn the feature off however.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2022 10:22 AM in response to kesterlester

Screen sharing is a 3 step process. It can't really be accidentally enabled. You need to click on the control center icon, then you need to click on Screen mirroring, then you need to click on a device to screen mirror to.

You can then immediately disable it in the same way.

There is no way to turn the feature off however.

How to completely prevent screen mirroring on MacBook Air with macOS Monterey ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.