Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"quick look" no longer plays audio

Recently, I found that I can no longer use "quick look" in a Finder window to audition sound files.

Now, all I get is a link to open the file in Apple Music.

Is there a preference somewhere where I can go back to just being able to audition an audio field directly in Quick Look?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 2:32 PM

Hi xnau,

According to View and edit files with Quick Look on Mac macOS Monterey 12 and even the latest macOS Ventura 13, you can play and trim audio using Quick Look by

1. On your Mac, select one or more items, then press the Space bar.
  2. Trim an audio or video item: Click the Trim button , then drag the yellow handles in the trimming bar. To test your changes, click Play icon. To start over, click Revert. When you’re ready to save your changes, click Done, then choose to replace the original file or create a new one."

If it doesn't behave as expected, you can try some basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Test another file.
  2. If selecting multiple files, try selecting just one.
  3. Restart your Mac Shut down or restart your Mac
  4. Ensure you are up to date Update macOS on Mac

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 2:32 PM in response to xnau

Hi xnau,

According to View and edit files with Quick Look on Mac macOS Monterey 12 and even the latest macOS Ventura 13, you can play and trim audio using Quick Look by

1. On your Mac, select one or more items, then press the Space bar.
  2. Trim an audio or video item: Click the Trim button , then drag the yellow handles in the trimming bar. To test your changes, click Play icon. To start over, click Revert. When you’re ready to save your changes, click Done, then choose to replace the original file or create a new one."

If it doesn't behave as expected, you can try some basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Test another file.
  2. If selecting multiple files, try selecting just one.
  3. Restart your Mac Shut down or restart your Mac
  4. Ensure you are up to date Update macOS on Mac

Take care.

"quick look" no longer plays audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.