Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes not asking for library

I have my iTunes library on a small hard disc, and backed up on another. Always, in the past, when I bring up iTunes it looks for the library and then finds it on the disc. Now, same computer, same disc, I go to iTunes and get the page that invites me to goto the store, no interest in the library, as if it didn't exist and didn't need to. I'm baffled. Have been doing this for years w no problem. Using a Lenova computer and Seagate separate hard disc. iTunes library is on the disc. What am I doing wrong, this time.

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 2:12 PM

If the library isn't where it is expected to be then iTunes will usual prompt you to locate it. The exception is when iTunes is looking for the library at the standard path of <User's Music>\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl. Assuming you were storing the .itl somewhere different one must assume that the path was reset in error, e.g. as an unintended consequence of an upgrade or a crash. When the library is supposed to be at the standard path, but isn't found, iTunes creates a new empty library, which it will then populate with your unhidden purchase history.

Press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes to get the option to choose or create a library.

tt2

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2022 2:12 PM in response to Maineperson

If the library isn't where it is expected to be then iTunes will usual prompt you to locate it. The exception is when iTunes is looking for the library at the standard path of <User's Music>\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl. Assuming you were storing the .itl somewhere different one must assume that the path was reset in error, e.g. as an unintended consequence of an upgrade or a crash. When the library is supposed to be at the standard path, but isn't found, iTunes creates a new empty library, which it will then populate with your unhidden purchase history.

Press and hold down shift as you launch iTunes to get the option to choose or create a library.

tt2

Dec 19, 2022 12:13 PM in response to turingtest2

It worked. Took me a while to figure out just exactly which file was the library but once found, I could direct iTunes to it. Guess I need to get the whole business into the Cloud, and the whole phone, so I don't have to go through this again. I got a new phone and the old one supposedly was copied onto the new one, minus all the music and minus Kindle content....sigh.

iTunes not asking for library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.