Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to disable "Copy Subject" feature in Safari?

With the advent of MacOS Ventura, when opening the context menu of an image in Safari, the "Copy Subject" item appears with a delay, which causes the items to shift upwards.

Problem video: https://monosnap.com/file/7Hb8kvyGNTUXWgG7NvGGf6vtHqeOde

Is there a way to disable the "Copy Subject" feature?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 10:03 AM

The problem is a context menu appearing and becoming active before the context is known.

Experience (and muscle memory) tells you that in order to open something in a new tab via the context menu you..

1. Right click (or two-finger tap) to open the context menu
  2. Move a little to the right
  3. Left click

This can be done in a split second and is second nature.

But now, if the pointer is near the bottom of the screen, Venture decides to...

1. Display the context menu showing the "open in new tab" option exactly where you expect it to be
  2. A split second later, just before you left-click, move the option up the screen just enough to bring the "open in a new window" option under the pointer

It's appalling UX behaviour.

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 10:03 AM in response to dialabrain

The problem is a context menu appearing and becoming active before the context is known.

Experience (and muscle memory) tells you that in order to open something in a new tab via the context menu you..

1. Right click (or two-finger tap) to open the context menu
  2. Move a little to the right
  3. Left click

This can be done in a split second and is second nature.

But now, if the pointer is near the bottom of the screen, Venture decides to...

1. Display the context menu showing the "open in new tab" option exactly where you expect it to be
  2. A split second later, just before you left-click, move the option up the screen just enough to bring the "open in a new window" option under the pointer

It's appalling UX behaviour.

Apr 21, 2023 5:39 AM in response to icrecovr

Yep doing my head in too. It affects me literally 20+ times a day. Usually by trying to open a link in a new tab but the shift makes me open in a new window instead.

I despise safari now. The only reason I use it is because of its integration with being able to input a 2 factor number from text message directly into the webpage. If it wasn't for that, I'd have ditched it for Chrome long ago.

Another regular annoyance is the amount of clicks I have to do to go into a "non secure page". Click link > then click another link > then click I accept and then get a pop up asking me again. This 'over-secure' 'hand holdy' frustration runs through the whole Apple eco system.

Another regular one is some pages open blank with an empty URL field, and the back button doesn't work. So for example I could open a dozen new tabs and then scroll through them, if one is blank there is no way of knowing which website it was meant to be so I lose it forever.

Everything Apple'y is so bad lately.

Sep 25, 2023 3:27 AM in response to nicksageek

Steve Jobs’ meaning of design was: “the way it works”

Now it’s just ”fancy things that don’t work well”

New iphones (without button) are a mess, you need 20cm fingers and the gestures are anti human. Not to mention the island that is a black spot in your image. Horrible experience. I still buy Apple brcause it’s the only brand that matters to me, but i wish they will start again making things that work.

Sep 26, 2023 9:41 AM in response to john hope1

john hope1 wrote:

New iphones (without button) are a mess, you need 20cm fingers and the gestures are anti human.

Remember, Jobs didn't want to include any keyboard with the original Mac. He thought that the one-button mouse would be enough. Woz had to talk him into it.

However, my brand new iPhone 15 Pro has four buttons so, I'm not sure what you mean by phones without a button.

Oct 5, 2023 6:27 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

john hope1 wrote:

New iphones (without button) are a mess, you need 20cm fingers and the gestures are anti human.
Remember, Jobs didn't want to include any keyboard with the original Mac. He thought that the one-button mouse would be enough. Woz had to talk him into it.

However, my brand new iPhone 15 Pro has four buttons so, I'm not sure what you mean by phones without a button.

Jobs didn't want to include most keys on the keyboard that he felt made it clunky and bloated, but that didn't mean he didn't want a keyboard. If you have links to articles that state otherwise, please include them. Like this article about Jobs and the Extended Keyboard

As for the button, my guess is they are referring to the home button. The home button with TouchID is far more useful than "Swipe up, stare at phone to unlock" with FaceID. The best case example is the device is on a desk and you want to glance at...well maybe not you, but people sometimes just need to glance at the phone without picking it up, it's a thing. Of course I'm sure one day Apple will bring back TouchID and pat themselves on the back for being "innovative"... just like mag-safe, switch keyboards for Macbooks and, other features they've revived to look "innovative" in recent years.

All of which is off topic from "how to disable "Copy Subject"" which the OP was asking about, an answer which I'm currently searching for as it's poor design to have it pop in seconds after opening a context window. Information on how to do that would actually be helpful. Thanks!

How to disable "Copy Subject" feature in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.