Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover a mac if I am not in control of the Apple ID

We had a computer returned by a prior employee. The prior employee wiped the machine. I am attempting to use internet recovery mode. The machine is asking me to log in using the prior employee's Apple ID -- we don't have access to this for obvious reasons. We also do not know the Device Password since we drop shipped the machine to the user.

Is there some way I can "nuke" the ownership in Apple -land and start from scratch?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 11:00 AM

The only way to recover use of that Mac is to have Apple remove its Activation Lock. This presumes your company or rightful owner can provide Apple with unequivocal documentation proving that it is theirs to own and control.

Follow "Start a support request" in How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support.

Otherwise, ask that former employee to kindly release it from Activation Lock. He or she absolutely, positively must follow the applicable steps described in these instructions: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2022 11:00 AM in response to ff-tim

The only way to recover use of that Mac is to have Apple remove its Activation Lock. This presumes your company or rightful owner can provide Apple with unequivocal documentation proving that it is theirs to own and control.

Follow "Start a support request" in How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support.

Otherwise, ask that former employee to kindly release it from Activation Lock. He or she absolutely, positively must follow the applicable steps described in these instructions: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support.

How do I recover a mac if I am not in control of the Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.