Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset macbook without login information

Hi!

I got a a2337 model macbook from ebay and it still has the original owners activation lock on it (the seller claims to have in turn bought it from someone else). I tried the "Erase mac" option. (It says that if you can not activate the mac, then you should try that option.) When I do so, it still asks for the login and password. Am I screwed? If I bring it to an apple center will they reinstall the operating system for me even without the receipt?

Thanks in advance for your help.

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 11:58 AM

Hi someappleuser111,

If the Mac is locked with Activation Lock, unfortunately it is likely stolen. Please check with local law enforcement to see if the real owner has registered the serial number in a case.

Also, reach out to the seller and ask them to complete these steps, if they did indeed rightfully own the Mac: How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support Then, restart the Mac and try again.

If you can provide proof of purchase, Apple might even be able to help: https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 11:58 AM in response to someappleuser111

Hi someappleuser111,

If the Mac is locked with Activation Lock, unfortunately it is likely stolen. Please check with local law enforcement to see if the real owner has registered the serial number in a case.

Also, reach out to the seller and ask them to complete these steps, if they did indeed rightfully own the Mac: How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support Then, restart the Mac and try again.

If you can provide proof of purchase, Apple might even be able to help: https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support

Reset macbook without login information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.