Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mobile Data Roaming off, still get charged

I've been using my iPhone SE 2020 with a physical German SIM card and a local eSIM.

I've turned off the mobile data roaming for the physical card.

I still get charged by this provider for Internet-usage, because the phone seems to connect for a couple KB (around 1KB to 6KB). Not every day, but up to four times per day sometimes.

Could this be that It connects via roaming when the local sim does not have any service (like when I'm travelling to more remote areas with less coverage)?

Is there anything I can do to *actually* disable roaming completely?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 2:12 AM

I’ve the same issue on an IPhone XR.

I’ve an eSim from another country with data roaming turned off. Regardless, I get billed data roaming charges from the provider for a few kB. It is a small amount of data, often around 1.72kB upload and 0.29kB download per connection, nevertheless it adds up. For the current billing cycles, data roaming charges are already at 4.5 EUR.

Observing the matter, my suspicion is that whenever the iPhone regains cellular connection (e.g After restart/airplane mode) charges occur.

When I switch off data roaming, I expect there to be no data connection via that sim.

Please rein estimate this issue.

thank you

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2023 2:12 AM in response to Joel1010

I’ve the same issue on an IPhone XR.

I’ve an eSim from another country with data roaming turned off. Regardless, I get billed data roaming charges from the provider for a few kB. It is a small amount of data, often around 1.72kB upload and 0.29kB download per connection, nevertheless it adds up. For the current billing cycles, data roaming charges are already at 4.5 EUR.

Observing the matter, my suspicion is that whenever the iPhone regains cellular connection (e.g After restart/airplane mode) charges occur.

When I switch off data roaming, I expect there to be no data connection via that sim.

Please rein estimate this issue.

thank you

Jan 25, 2023 12:55 AM in response to ThornOfCamor

I've just had the same problem with my iPhone 11 Pro Max (iOS always updated). I live in EU and have an eSIM from a local provider. I went to UK for the holidays and followed Apple's instructions about roaming to the letter:

About mobile data roaming options for your iPhone and iPad – Apple Support (UK)

Actually, Data Roaming is always OFF on my phone. Nevertheless, I'm being charged for internet roaming — all the same, small amounts of data here and there.

So, if it's happening with different customers, on different providers, in different countries, if it's happening even if we follow Apple's official support guidelines about roaming — which are pretty clear —, how is it possible that it's a carrier problem — every carrier, everywhere? — and not a phone problem? Dismissing it like that is not only ridiculous, but disrespectful.

I shouldn't have to bother about towers and antennas, that's why I chose Apple. It shouldn't even reach for data! Data Roaming Off doesn't work as it should, just acknowledge it, for honesty's sake.

Dec 15, 2022 2:43 PM in response to bruno75

I do not understand your answer. I disabled roaming on my iPhone, yet it still roams (just a little, but more than nothing, and this builds up over time, so despite not actually using this SIM for data, my carrier charges me). I fail to understand how this can be a carrier issue.

What sort of details would you need (from me / carrier)?

Mar 10, 2023 1:50 AM in response to Joel1010

I have the same issue with my iPhone X with a physical SIM card from an EU country. On a recent trip outside of EU, I turned off roaming, but still incurred charges for tiny amounts of data even though I do not have mobile data on. The bill showed 41 connections at about 48 KB each over a period of about 1 week. I contacted the carrier but they cannot provide any more information about these.

I believe this is an Apple problem, because if my phone’s UI tells me data is off and roaming is off, then there should be no data traffic whatsoever.

Dec 15, 2022 3:34 PM in response to AdvisorMP

Please find below my carrier's list of when the charges have been recorded for October 2022. (Sorry for being German, but you can see the dates, Volumes and charges; At the top it just says 'data connections for country groups 2 / 3, which corresponds to the country I'm in at the moment and they'd charge roaming there)

I don't get your point regarding the delays, how does that matter here whether there is delays?

So you're saying that the Phone connects to the cell tower for data with both SIMs? I then don't understand why the phone connects to the 4G part of the cell tower with that roaming SIM, as I disabled that. It should only connect to the GSM part and receive texts / calls to that SIM. Also the phone should connect to the 4G part with my local eSIM and do the data transfers with that connection.

Dec 15, 2022 2:24 PM in response to Joel1010

Hey there Joel,

While 6KB is extremely small, you'll want to reach out to your carrier regarding billing details involving cellular usage. Regarding your questions about roaming with your carrier, this is also something you'll need to reach out to your carrier to ask.

If you believe there's a technical issue occurring from the Apple end of things, please provide us more details as to why you think that is. The more details we have, the better we'll understand what's happening.

Cheers!

Dec 15, 2022 2:50 PM in response to Joel1010

Thanks for following up Joel1010,

Roaming charges are recorded by the towers you connect to and then remit to your carrier. Not all carriers provide the charges in the same cycle you might be billed for them by your carrier, there might be delays. The only way to know is to check with your carrier for when the charges actually occurred or to request a refund if the charges are disputed.

Hope that helps.

Mobile Data Roaming off, still get charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.