Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update not working

Two questions: I have a 2017 21.5 inch iMac running macOS Big Sur 11.7.1. For the last few weeks whenever I check for updates, Software Update does not work. "Checking for updates..." keeps spinning and nothing ever happens. What should I do? Surely there has to be a way to check for security updates and upgrade to the latest macOS if I need to. As for the latter, will Ventura work well with my iMac and how can I upgrade to it if Software Update is not working?

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2022 6:35 PM

I understand Software Update is perpetually indicating "Checking for updates..." with no apparent resolution.

Several workarounds have been proposed, such as restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and checking for updates while in that mode, and / or resetting NVRAM.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Related: Software Update stuck at "Checking for updates"… - Apple Community

As for the latter, will Ventura work well with my iMac ...

It should. First please determine if the above suggestions resolve the endless spinning.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2022 6:35 PM in response to terpsmitty

I understand Software Update is perpetually indicating "Checking for updates..." with no apparent resolution.

Several workarounds have been proposed, such as restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and checking for updates while in that mode, and / or resetting NVRAM.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Related: Software Update stuck at "Checking for updates"… - Apple Community

As for the latter, will Ventura work well with my iMac ...

It should. First please determine if the above suggestions resolve the endless spinning.

Software Update not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.