Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external disk drive not showing up in Finder

Hey,

today I used my external disk drive to look at some old pictures. I ejected the disk and changed it to another one a few times but suddenly my drive doesn't show up in finder anymore. I can hear it vibrating, so I know it still works and it also shows up in disk utility but I can't select first aid or anything there.

My finder preferences also are selected to show external disks.

I clicked on eject in disk utility and it said that the cd can't be ejected because it's in use.

How can I get it to work again or at least get the cd out?:)

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 4:51 AM

Does your drive have a hole to insert a paper clip to eject but if not then restart your Mac and hold down the touchpad (or mouse key) at the same time and the disc should eject. Not sure why it will no longer reads the disc unless it got damaged.

1 reply

external disk drive not showing up in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.