Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive ejecting blank CDs

I have just connected an Apple Superdrive(older from the original box) to my MB 13 Pro through a Belkin USB A to USB C adapter. The blank discs go in and then are ejected several seconds later. The drive and blank disc does not show up on Finder, and I have checked my System Report and selected the box for CDs to show up in Finder from my System Preferences.

Any other great ideas as to how to burn discs using the Superdrive? Dry clean disc for Superdrive? Different type of CD? They are the stock Staples 700 mb discs

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 10:53 AM

....Apple Superdrive (older from the original box)....

There are two SuperDrives: the MacBook Air Superdrive (Jan 2008), and the USB SuperDrive (Jun 2012). Apple has no specs sheets showing sysreqs for either that I can find, but the MacTracker database† has this:

• MacBook Air or Mac mini Server (MacBook Air SuperDrive)
    • Mac models from 2008 and later that don't have a built-in optical drive (USB SuperDrive)

If you have the older one, that could be the problem.

Telling the old from the newer is not easy because the model numbers overlap. The older drive could be either model A1270 or A1379. The newer is also A1379/

As you have the box, the label may show the order numbers which don't overlap:

• MB397G/A, MC684ZM/A (MacBook Air SuperDrive)
    • MD564LL/A (USB SuperDrive)

The MacTracker database also has an even easier to tell one from the other. The cable on the older one is 250mm ( just under 10 inches) long; the newer one has a cable that is 340mm, or just over 13 inches.

And, apologies in advance, but I have to ask because this was a big enough user issue for Apple that they put it at the top of some external SuperDrive support docs: Is the silver side up?

† — Source material: specifications and history are from the MacTracker database, available in the Mac App Store.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2022 10:53 AM in response to mashlenny19

....Apple Superdrive (older from the original box)....

There are two SuperDrives: the MacBook Air Superdrive (Jan 2008), and the USB SuperDrive (Jun 2012). Apple has no specs sheets showing sysreqs for either that I can find, but the MacTracker database† has this:

• MacBook Air or Mac mini Server (MacBook Air SuperDrive)
    • Mac models from 2008 and later that don't have a built-in optical drive (USB SuperDrive)

If you have the older one, that could be the problem.

Telling the old from the newer is not easy because the model numbers overlap. The older drive could be either model A1270 or A1379. The newer is also A1379/

As you have the box, the label may show the order numbers which don't overlap:

• MB397G/A, MC684ZM/A (MacBook Air SuperDrive)
    • MD564LL/A (USB SuperDrive)

The MacTracker database also has an even easier to tell one from the other. The cable on the older one is 250mm ( just under 10 inches) long; the newer one has a cable that is 340mm, or just over 13 inches.

And, apologies in advance, but I have to ask because this was a big enough user issue for Apple that they put it at the top of some external SuperDrive support docs: Is the silver side up?

† — Source material: specifications and history are from the MacTracker database, available in the Mac App Store.

Dec 8, 2022 10:22 AM in response to mashlenny19

Test a Music CD and/or a Movie DVD in the Superdrive.

If those work,

1) try changing the blank CD Preference to "Ask what to do" and test a blank CD.

2) plus I would also test a different brand of blank CDs at this point.

If that does not work,

1) try the Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

2) or the following Philips USB-C to USB-A adapter that I have and use.

https://www.target.com/p/philips-usb-c-to-3-0-usb-a-female-adapter/-/A-79804275

https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Charging-Connector-Portable-Convertor/dp/B0842CV8NY?

Superdrive ejecting blank CDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.