Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple SuperDrive, connected with proper adapter, will not load

Wanted to access some artwork saved on a CD-ROM, used proper adapter to connect SuperDrive directly to Thunderbolt port. SuperDrive makes the correct sounds and takes in the CD, the CD shows in the Eject menu in the upper menu on my screen, but nowhere does the actual CD load where it can be seen on my desktop, documents, favorites, etc. etc.

So essentially all I can do is Eject the CD. Bummer and a half.

Can someone help me access the CD in the SuperDrive?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 1:47 PM

hi daphnecm,

have you set up your preferences to do what you want the superdrive to do when you insert a disc.

Apple Menu>System Preferences: then choose "CDs & DVDs".

for my liking, i set mine up this way:

if you'd like the disc to show up on your desktop, enter finder preferences and put a check in the box that says "CDs, DVDs, and iPods"

have fun.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 1:47 PM in response to daphnecm

hi daphnecm,

have you set up your preferences to do what you want the superdrive to do when you insert a disc.

Apple Menu>System Preferences: then choose "CDs & DVDs".

for my liking, i set mine up this way:

if you'd like the disc to show up on your desktop, enter finder preferences and put a check in the box that says "CDs, DVDs, and iPods"

have fun.

Sep 7, 2020 5:16 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

So, already had the CD & DVD prefs set like yours; checked my Finder prefs (hadn't thought about that originally) and the CDs, DVDs,, and iPods were checked to show on the desktop. Decided to try unchecking it, then restarting the computer, then checking it again after the restart, but no dice. The CD remains invisible in any place but the Eject button in the top right menu.

*scratches head*

Appreciate your kind reply, Daphne

Apple SuperDrive, connected with proper adapter, will not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.