Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple superdrive isnt recognized by the mac. the strange thing is, that i can see it in the system pref, it makes a noise when i plug the usb in, so it does work, but i cant see it in the finder, nor can eject the cd insdi

apple superdrive isnt recognized by the mac. the strange thing is, that i can see it in the system pref, it makes a noise when i plug the usb in, so it does work, but i cant see it in the finder, nor can eject the cd inside

Mac mini, 12.1

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 12:04 PM

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the left mouse button until the disc ejects.
  2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.
  3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.
  4. Press COMMAND-E.
  5. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following: /usr/bin/drutil eject then press RETURN.

If none of the above work, then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2022 12:04 PM in response to leroi21421

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the left mouse button until the disc ejects.
  2. Press the Eject button on your keyboard.
  3. Click on the Eject button in the menubar.
  4. Press COMMAND-E.
  5. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following: /usr/bin/drutil eject then press RETURN.

If none of the above work, then make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Jan 10, 2022 10:34 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for your quick reply.

i used the terminal command as you wrote, and it forced the cd to eject.

i tried to check the superdrive with different cd, and the Mac recognized it like it should.

when I tried to reinsert the first cd, it happened again, and i used the terminal command again to eject it.

so, apparently something is wrong with the cd itself, and that made the superdrive not to be responsive.

thanks a lot!

apple superdrive isnt recognized by the mac. the strange thing is, that i can see it in the system pref, it makes a noise when i plug the usb in, so it does work, but i cant see it in the finder, nor can eject the cd insdi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.