SuperDrive issue with disk

Hi, I unboxed my new USB Super Drive and attached it to my iMac desktop, MacOS Sonoma 14.0, 8GB, Chip Apple M1.. I had to use a USB Adapter to plug in the port on my iMac as the plug with the SuperDrive is too big for the port on my iMac.. So I insert a disk into the SuperDrive.. I hear it whirling, but nothing shows up either on my iMac screen nor on my iTunes library and then the disk is ejected. Can someone please explain to me what the issue is here with this, thank you.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 7:09 PM

gharleydude wrote:

I was not using Blue-Ray disks; they are music cds.

If they are music CDs, I would think that the USB SuperDrive would have no problems playing them, or extracting digital audio from them.

Sometimes CDs get scratched up badly enough that they will not play. There is a trick that you can use to rescue many of these CDs:

1. Take a diluted solution of dishwashing liquid and water, and gently clean the CD.
  2. Allow the CD to dry thoroughly.
  3. Try reading it again.

This works because a CD drive can often focus past a scratch, if the scratch is clear and not coated with dirt. It does not always work, especially with scratches that follow the circle of the disc, but it is worth trying.

There are a few "CDs" out there that have copy perversion / DRM on them, including the infamous Sony "root kit" "CDs". But I doubt that a collection of big band CDs in a commemorative tin container would have had this sort of crud on them. Scratches and dirt interfering with playback would be a much more likely scenario.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2023 7:09 PM in response to gharleydude

gharleydude wrote:

I was not using Blue-Ray disks; they are music cds.

If they are music CDs, I would think that the USB SuperDrive would have no problems playing them, or extracting digital audio from them.

Sometimes CDs get scratched up badly enough that they will not play. There is a trick that you can use to rescue many of these CDs:

1. Take a diluted solution of dishwashing liquid and water, and gently clean the CD.
  2. Allow the CD to dry thoroughly.
  3. Try reading it again.

This works because a CD drive can often focus past a scratch, if the scratch is clear and not coated with dirt. It does not always work, especially with scratches that follow the circle of the disc, but it is worth trying.

There are a few "CDs" out there that have copy perversion / DRM on them, including the infamous Sony "root kit" "CDs". But I doubt that a collection of big band CDs in a commemorative tin container would have had this sort of crud on them. Scratches and dirt interfering with playback would be a much more likely scenario.

Oct 31, 2023 6:08 PM in response to gharleydude

I had to use a USB Adapter to plug in the port on my iMac...

What adapter? Several reports say you need to use Apple-branded adapters—one of these:

"Silver-side up" is the correct orientation.

.. and then the disk is ejected.

Have you tried the disks in another device?

Nov 1, 2023 1:05 AM in response to gharleydude

gharleydude wrote:

My intention was to download all three disks to my iTunes ( I guess now it is called music) library so that it will go to my iPod where I keep all of my music. So frustrating to not be able to transfer such good music over to my iPod..

What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

Apple Music User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Import songs from CDs into Music on Mac - Apple Support

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 31, 2023 8:37 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi, yes, I bought a USB-C to USB adapter to use with the SuperDrive I bought; I had to because the plug was too big for the ports on my new iMac. Unfortunately I do not have any other device with which to use. My intention was to download all three disks to my iTunes ( I guess now it is called music) library so that it will go to my iPod where I keep all of my music. So frustrating to not be able to transfer such good music over to my iPod..

SuperDrive issue with disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.