Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I give my old phone to my kid?

I upgraded phones and I want to give my old phone to my kid. How do I do that?

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:52 PM

See what to do before you sell or give away your iPhone --> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Once you've done what is recommended, you can set up the iPhone for your kid, with their own Apple ID, etc. If they are very young and you want to use parental controls to have more control over what things they can or can't do, this link will explain how to do that --> Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

And finally, you can use Family Sharing to share apps with your kid, so they won't have to buy things you already own and this link explains this in more detail --> Family Sharing - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2022 1:52 PM in response to gdog8670

See what to do before you sell or give away your iPhone --> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Once you've done what is recommended, you can set up the iPhone for your kid, with their own Apple ID, etc. If they are very young and you want to use parental controls to have more control over what things they can or can't do, this link will explain how to do that --> Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)

And finally, you can use Family Sharing to share apps with your kid, so they won't have to buy things you already own and this link explains this in more detail --> Family Sharing - Apple

How do I give my old phone to my kid?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.