Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advanced Data Protection

I keep getting the same error when I try to activate ADP. “Something Went Wrong. There was a problem turning on Advanced Data Protection. Try again later.” Has anyone else received this? And how do I fix this. I am in the US

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2022 10:07 AM

I managed to resolve the above issues through trial and error.  

First: 

I updated all devices connected to iCloud to the recommended software versions, and validated the proper software versions shown on devices when I tapped iCould under system setting on the original iPhone used to turn on Automatic Data Encryption.    

• iPhone with iOS 16.2

• iPad with iPadOS 16.2

• Mac with macOS 13.1

• Apple Watch with watchOS 9.2

• Apple TV with tvOS 16.2

• HomePod with software version 16.2

• Windows computer with iCloud for Windows 14.1

Second:

On that same iPhone I then generated a new recovery key. Then I signed out of iCloud on that iPhone and restated the iPhone.

Third:

After restarting the iPhone, I then signed back into iCloud and did another restart of the device.  I then opened the Settings app., tapped my name, and then tapped iCloud and Scrolled down to Advanced Data Protection, to turn it on.  It then prompted me for my recovery key which I then entered and Automatic Data Protection was enabled.  

Fourth:

I opened my computer and second iPhone and Automatic Data protection was enabled on them automatically.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2022 10:07 AM in response to thomasfromarvada

I managed to resolve the above issues through trial and error.  

First: 

I updated all devices connected to iCloud to the recommended software versions, and validated the proper software versions shown on devices when I tapped iCould under system setting on the original iPhone used to turn on Automatic Data Encryption.    

• iPhone with iOS 16.2

• iPad with iPadOS 16.2

• Mac with macOS 13.1

• Apple Watch with watchOS 9.2

• Apple TV with tvOS 16.2

• HomePod with software version 16.2

• Windows computer with iCloud for Windows 14.1

Second:

On that same iPhone I then generated a new recovery key. Then I signed out of iCloud on that iPhone and restated the iPhone.

Third:

After restarting the iPhone, I then signed back into iCloud and did another restart of the device.  I then opened the Settings app., tapped my name, and then tapped iCloud and Scrolled down to Advanced Data Protection, to turn it on.  It then prompted me for my recovery key which I then entered and Automatic Data Protection was enabled.  

Fourth:

I opened my computer and second iPhone and Automatic Data protection was enabled on them automatically.

Dec 16, 2022 12:11 PM in response to thomasfromarvada

CGLV1996 Said:

"Advanced Data Protection: […]when I click that I get a ‘something went wrong’ message.’[…]

———-

Troubleshooting Advanced Data Protection:

Contact Apple Support.

Being that it reads “something went wrong”, and that all has to do with the potential to keep your data safe, contact Apple Support. This may be a bug.

A. Regarding the Mac:

I think what they would say is to backup your Mac using Time Machine, and then reinstall the macOS. But, doing that, you may mess up all your data. So, you may have to perform a few commands in Terminal to modify a few things such as relocating and/or renaming folder and files.

B. Regarding the iPhone:

On the iPhone, you may have to set it up anew, as if you were to sell it. Back up what is needed, and then reset everything using this link: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade In your iPhone or iPad - Apple SupportUse that Link.

C. Apple Contact US Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through 

Dec 14, 2022 3:10 PM in response to CGLV1996

CGLV1996 Said:

"Advanced Data Protection: I keep getting the same error when I try to activate ADP. “Something Went Wrong. There was a problem turning on Advanced Data Protection. Try again later.” Has anyone else received this? And how do I fix this. I am in the US"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Troubleshooting Advanced Data Protection:

No. I've never come access this, but you better keep a good handwritten, hardcopy record of this info --because if you don't have then info, you'll never be able to get back in. Store the password in a safe location --one that only you are knowledge of, and only you have access to.

So, what to try...

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Mar 11, 2023 12:34 PM in response to CGLV1996

Here's what my experience has been: you must disable the recovery key when turning on Advanced Data Protection (ADP), as there appears to be some bug afoot that probably determines that you have no recovery method.

• I am running on iOS 16.3.1, and had a recovery key in place, and attempted to turn on ADP, but received the same "something went wrong" generic error.
  • I've followed up by adding a recovery contact, and then retrying, however I've had the same result.
  • I've even tried signing out of the phone and back again, but that solved nothing and was merely a headache as I had to tweak settings/config afterwards.
  • Ultimately it was disabling the recovery key that did the trick.

I will make this additional observation: something is definitely buggy in relation to the recovery key, as the iOS menu in Apple ID -> Password & Security the Account Recovery button(?) was erroneously displaying that I had no recovery key set -- until now after I've added after turning on ADP -- as well as in the Apple ID -> iCloud -> Advanced Data Protection the Account Recovery button(?) had on it "Set Up" (right aligned) even though I had the recovery key and a recovery person -- again prior to turning on ADP while after recovery key removal the "Set Up" disappeared.

So, to reiterate, perhaps removing the recovery key is all you need to do in order to turn on ADP, and afterwards bring back the recovery key.

Dec 16, 2022 11:16 AM in response to TheLittles

I used my iPhone to to turn on Advanced Data Protection, and create a recovery key. Then I updated software on my other devices, and attempted to turn on Advanced Data Protection on my other other iPhone and MacBook Pro. On the MacBook Pro, I get a pop up to review recovery methods, but nothing happens when I click the link and I cannot turn it on. I restarted all devices to see if that would help, but it did not.

On the original iPhone, Advanced Data Protection is now turned off end when I try to turn it back on, I get the "review recovery methods", and when I click that I get a "something went wrong" message.

In iCloud, it shows that I have a recovery key activated.

Dec 17, 2022 12:48 PM in response to thomasfromarvada

CGLV1996 Said:

"Advanced Data Protection: [...]I then opened the Settings app., tapped my name, and then tapped iCloud and Scrolled down to Advanced Data Protection, to turn it on.[...]"

-------

👍Excellent Job Troubleshooting.

Resync iCloud:

If the iCloud log in fixed this, then I'd say syncing is of high concern. So, for data safety, sign out of iCloud on all of your devices, and then sign back in one at a time. All devices would then be re-synced.

Advanced Data Protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.