Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advanced Data Protection Error Message

I am trying to tunr on ADP on my Mac. I've updated all of my devices. I get the following error message...

Advanced Data Protection Not Available

Check your network connection and try again.

My network connection is fine.

I am in the US.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Dec 19, 2022 9:47 AM

5 replies

Dec 21, 2022 7:28 AM in response to Mark Gregor-Pearse

Hi Mark Gregor-Pearse,

Running updated software on all of your devices is one of the requirements for turning on Advanced Data Protection, so that's great that you've updated them. The next step would be to make sure the additional requirements are being met as well. Learn more here: How to turn on Advanced Data Protection for iCloud.

Requirements
To turn on Advanced Data Protection for iCloud, you need:

• An Apple ID with two-factor authentication.
• A passcode or password set for your device.
• At least one account recovery contact or recovery key. If you don't already have one, you'll be guided to set one up when you turn on Advanced Data Protection.
• Updated software on all of the devices where you're signed in with your Apple ID:
• iPhone with iOS 16.2
• iPad with iPadOS 16.2
• Mac with macOS 13.1
• Apple Watch with watchOS 9.2
• Apple TV with tvOS 16.2
• HomePod with software version 16.2
• Windows computer with iCloud for Windows 14.1

Managed Apple IDs and child accounts are not eligible for Advanced Data Protection.

Kind regards.

Feb 16, 2023 6:34 AM in response to Mark Gregor-Pearse

Thanks, I had a similar issue but with two Roku devices in my profile. Once I removed them, I was able to enable Advanced Data Protection.

This does worry me. Will I have issues if I sign in to the Apple TV app on my Roku again? Are we going to suddenly lose access to anything that doesn't support ADP?

The error was also very misleading. I also had an issue removing devices in System Preferences on the Mac: there wasn't a confirmation window after removing them and they remained in System Settings until I restarted the app. It's all very convoluted, I expect more from Apple.

Advanced Data Protection Error Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.