Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX plugins to turn live-action into animation?

A friend is producing a feature doc with a lot of archival footage. He wants to blend the live-action footage with animation. He's been looking for an animator that is familiar with film, and manipulating the two together.

I have this vague memory of using plug-ins years ago that would take a live-action shot and convert it to something stylized, as if it were animated. Like the plug-ins one can find in Photoshop, that will turn a photo into a painting.

I'm wondering if anyone has come across such plugins for FCPX? Or, if not, some app that will do something like this. Though ideally the plug-in that can work in FXPX or Motion, allowing the ability to simultaneously blend with live-action.

??? All ears, Ben

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 2:03 AM

Can anyone join in?

As Luis has suggested, the "Comic" effects can be very effective though the quality is very dependent on the original footage as weird artefacts are produced which can move disconcertingly.

6 replies

Dec 15, 2022 2:14 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Because of the areas of colour/shade that move around and shimmer it might be worthwhile trying a different technique.

Instead of producing a moving clip, why not simply have the "normal" movie clip ending on a freeze-frame to which one of the comic looks has been applied?

Remember that you can also modify the effect to get an image closer to what you originally envisioned.

Dec 15, 2022 7:13 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you Luis and Ian,

Neat. Tried it. Ha ha ha. I've got a ten minute film I've just cut, live-action, and suddenly I'm thinking -- this film might be better as an animated short, considering the audience. And with this one plug-in, it would be something that could be done easily and quickly. Thank you for that. I'll try the idea out on my co-producer.

I've been Googling a bit too. I think my friend is going to have to find an animator with creds. I wanted to suggest some possibilities he could play with while he's out looking ... but as I delve into it, tricky stuff. He's thinking less cartoon or comic and more impressionistic, painterly. And then things are much more learning intensive.

Thank you very much guys, very helpful, and appreciated,

Ben

FCPX plugins to turn live-action into animation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.