Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac with External Monitor

I connect my mac with external monitor and keep my mac book as my main monitor. I use mac book track pad and magic mouse as well. It is hard to move the mouse around with two monitors as I have large external monitor. I must move the mouse to the top left area in order to bring my mouse to the mac book.

But we have track pad attached to the mac book, if I want to move my mouse around mac book monitor, can I just use track pad and if I want to use my pointing device at monitor, can I just use the magic mouse.

Is that possible or is it new feature request?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 10:50 AM

You need to go to System Preferences, select whichever device you like (Trackpad and/or Mouse) and adjust the Tracking speed for one or both to move the cursor faster.

Limiting mouse and trackpad use to individual monitors is not supported.

You might keep the trackpad speed slow for regular use and adjust the mouse speed fast for moving quickly from one screen to another.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2022 10:50 AM in response to Tiger-Mac

You need to go to System Preferences, select whichever device you like (Trackpad and/or Mouse) and adjust the Tracking speed for one or both to move the cursor faster.

Limiting mouse and trackpad use to individual monitors is not supported.

You might keep the trackpad speed slow for regular use and adjust the mouse speed fast for moving quickly from one screen to another.

Dec 15, 2022 6:44 PM in response to Tiger-Mac

No. You may have missed the second sentence in my last reply.

Note that you can manipulate the position of either monitor in System Preferences/Displays by dragging either screen image in the preference pane up or down in relation to the other to change the area of transition.

Their relative positions can also be reversed by dragging either one to the opposite side of the other, so that the external monitor is on the other side of the laptop screen, if that helps.

Mac with External Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.