Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting a Photo from Library after moving it to a Album

When I drag and drop a photo from the Library to a Photo Album the photo stays in the library but a copy of the photo is created in the Album I dragged the photo to. I want to remove the photo from the Library but keep the copy in the Album. How is this done? If I delete the photo in the Library it also deletes the photo in the Album.

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 2:03 PM

Thank you for the answer. To me, the whole purpose for a 'filing' system is to be able to group like things and have the image in only ONE location. I have several images in the Library that I rally don't want in the Library, hence the reason I created the Albums. My opinion is this procedure *****. OK I just thought of an idea - copy the images I want to remove from the Library to an external drive and then delete them from the Library. I'll try it with one image. Don B

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 2:03 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for the answer. To me, the whole purpose for a 'filing' system is to be able to group like things and have the image in only ONE location. I have several images in the Library that I rally don't want in the Library, hence the reason I created the Albums. My opinion is this procedure *****. OK I just thought of an idea - copy the images I want to remove from the Library to an external drive and then delete them from the Library. I'll try it with one image. Don B

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Dec 16, 2022 11:22 AM in response to dfbakernaustx

You cannot do it.

Every photograph is in the Library. Just like iTunes & Music app: every song is in the Library.

No copy is made when you add a photo to an album. An album is simply a list of images you want displayed together. The same image can be in 100 albums and use no extra disk space at all. Again just like iTunes/ Music, a playlist simply hold references to the track in the Library.

So, the key takeaway is that in these apps the Library is the central core, and everything else is a derivative of that.

Deleting a Photo from Library after moving it to a Album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.