Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are messages, sent to me, showing on my child’s iPad?

I recently set up my old 7th Gen iPad (running iPadOS 16) as a new child account for my daughter. I even created an Apple ID for her.

I just realized that text messages, sent to my iPhone 14 Pro Max (running iOS 16), are also being sent to “her” iPad.

Why is that?

How do I undo it so that she can have her own messaging (this iPad has its own unlimited data plan)?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 2:16 PM

Let me check these settings that you've mentioned.

Also, I reset this iPad before setting it up for her but the process still involved my iPhone 14 and my Apple ID. I selected "set up for someone else / child account" (I don't recall exactly how it was worded)

4 replies

Dec 16, 2022 11:27 AM in response to Pilerman

Make sure that you are not signed into Messages on the old iPad. Settings>Messages>Send and Receive. If you are, turn off Messages and then sign in with your daughter’s Apple ID.

You should make sure that you aren’t signed into FaceTime or the App Store and iTunes with your ID as well on the iPad. What you should have done is erased the iPad and started over with your daughters account.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Why are messages, sent to me, showing on my child’s iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.