Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create a keyboard shortcut to an Automator application? (Ventura 13.1 on M1 iMac)

I created an Automator application that "quits" all open apps. It works fine if I double click it.

Now I'm trying to assign a keyboard shortcut to run it but any combination I choose won't work.

Is this another bug in Ventura 13.1 ?

I go to System Settings | Keyboard | Keyboard Shortcuts, and then added a "App Shortcut" using Command Q, or Command K (And several other combinations). I just get a bell sound when I choose the key combo but it doesn't invoke the application.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 1:13 PM

Cmd-Q is a system default for quitting any app. You can't use it.

Cmd-K is used for Connect to Server in Finder, but not sure if it would be restricted in any way.

The error tone usually just means it doesn't work for the open app.

How did you create a shortcut for an Automator Application? I don't believe it is possible. You can create a shortcut for a Quick Action, though.

It's easier to create a keyboard shortcut for a Shortcut.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 1:13 PM in response to Barney-15E

Cmd-K is used for Connect to Server in Finder, but not sure if it would be restricted in any way.

How did you create a shortcut for an Automator Application? I don't believe it is possible. You can create a shortcut for a Quick Action, though.

It's easier to create a keyboard shortcut for a Shortcut.

Dec 16, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Randall_2023

You might try a macro app. I use one and can launch an app with a keystroke combination like Shift+Option+Command+P for Photos or A for Activity Monitor or D for Disk Utility. There are a number on the App Store, a couple are free I believe and some reasonable priced. I use Keyboard Maestro which is very powerful and can do much more than the others.

Dec 16, 2022 1:08 PM in response to Randall_2023

How did you create a shortcut for an Automator Application? I don't believe it is possible. You can create a shortcut for a Quick Action.

Dec 16, 2022 1:43 PM in response to Barney-15E

I did the following. And this .app file will run just fine so I was just hoping to create a keyboard shortcut to run the app file:

Open the Automator application on your Mac.

Click the button to create a new “Application”.

In the search box, type Quit.

Drag and drop the Quit All Applications option from the left to the right side.

In the search box, type, and select Run AppleScript.

Drag Run AppleScript to the right, underneath the Quit All Applications module.

In the AppleScript module, highlight “You script goes here”.

Enter tell application “Finder” close every window.

Click File in the Menu Bar.

Select Save.

Name the file, "Quit_all" and change the location to Applications.

Move the “Quit_all” application to your Dock or the Desktop for easy access.

Double Click on the icon to run.

Dec 16, 2022 1:58 PM in response to Randall_2023

I wasn't asking how you created the application. I was asking how you attempted to make the shortcut.

The App Shortcut in System Settings is for creating a shortcut for a menu command in the App, not for making a shortcut to run the App.

You can convert your app to a Quick Action and add a shortcut to the Quick Action, or you can just make a Shortcut as I showed and add the keyboard shortcut right there in the Shortcut.

How do I create a keyboard shortcut to an Automator application? (Ventura 13.1 on M1 iMac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.