Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Automator.app unresponsive running under macOS Ventura

I upgraded to macOS Ventura recently and today I tried to use Automator.app to create a Quick Action which uses "Run AppleScript".

I find that I can't easily type or delete characters within the action. Ellipses pop up while typing to auto-fill/suggest and I can't easily type the next character. It's very, very slow.

Also, a very simple action will not function. I get an error - it will not validate.

tell application "System Events"
    key code 47 using {shift down, command down}
end

I have used Automator for years and not sure what is happening here. Is it running under Rosetta now? It feels like it's emulated?

iMac 27″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 2:52 PM

I have observed that the Run AppleScript action in Automator and Shortcuts tends to interfere with normal code entry. It either does ellipsis code completion or forces your input on a different line dropping characters in the process. The solution is to code the contents of the Run AppleScript in Apple's Script Editor or Late Night Software's Script Debugger, get it working there, and then copy/paste without further edits in the Automator or Shortcuts workflow.

This annoying interference in the Run AppleScript action has been recurring since I believe macOS Big Sur and still is not fixed.

Out of the chute, the Run AppleScript action in Automator, or Shortcuts does not play well with System Events key events such as key code or keystroke. You will need to dive into System Settings : Privacy & Security : Automation and for Automator, ensure that System Events is enabled (=⦿). You may need to enable Automator in Files and Folders and Full Disk Access too depending on your Automator goals.

I too am running Ventura 13.5 on a M2 Mac mini Pro and M1 MacBook Pro M1 Pro and the Run AppleScript action misbehaves on both Macs, and also on my 2020 Core I7 iMac running Monterey 12.6.8. I have no anti-virus, or so-called cleaner applications installed on my Macs.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2023 2:52 PM in response to johnnyjackhammer

I have observed that the Run AppleScript action in Automator and Shortcuts tends to interfere with normal code entry. It either does ellipsis code completion or forces your input on a different line dropping characters in the process. The solution is to code the contents of the Run AppleScript in Apple's Script Editor or Late Night Software's Script Debugger, get it working there, and then copy/paste without further edits in the Automator or Shortcuts workflow.

This annoying interference in the Run AppleScript action has been recurring since I believe macOS Big Sur and still is not fixed.

Out of the chute, the Run AppleScript action in Automator, or Shortcuts does not play well with System Events key events such as key code or keystroke. You will need to dive into System Settings : Privacy & Security : Automation and for Automator, ensure that System Events is enabled (=⦿). You may need to enable Automator in Files and Folders and Full Disk Access too depending on your Automator goals.

I too am running Ventura 13.5 on a M2 Mac mini Pro and M1 MacBook Pro M1 Pro and the Run AppleScript action misbehaves on both Macs, and also on my 2020 Core I7 iMac running Monterey 12.6.8. I have no anti-virus, or so-called cleaner applications installed on my Macs.

Aug 2, 2023 1:39 PM in response to johnnyjackhammer

That shouldn’t happen.

Download and run EtreCheck (free), and share the report result to the clipboard. Then open a new reply here, and press the additional text button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box big enough to paste the hardware and software configuration report here, and paste and post that report here.

Aug 2, 2023 2:49 PM in response to MrHoffman

MrHoffman wrote:
I am not going to repeat the thousands of details that are collected by EtreCheck, and then sanitized for posting here. I wish you well with this.

Looks like we both have stated our boundaries.

For security reasons I don't like publicizing what software and hardware I have - I think this is reasonable. I did download EtreCheck and saw nothing obvious that would cause this issue.

In any case it seems changing the keyboard input settings on the system to "U.S." only from "ABC" and "U.S." has resolved this. That is the one thing I changed and now there is no issue in Automator.

Aug 7, 2023 11:38 AM in response to johnnyjackhammer

johnnyjackhammer wrote:

For security reasons I don't like publicizing what software and hardware I have - I think this is reasonable. I did download EtreCheck and saw nothing obvious that would cause this issue.

The primary reason for the existence of EtreCheck is so that people can post information useful for troubleshooting here in this forum without accidentally posting anything personally identifiable.

Automator.app unresponsive running under macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.