You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Mac Pro 2013 to Monterrey fails, won’t upgrade to necessary firmware…

I have a 2013 Mac pro, trying to upgrade to Monterey. Every time I try it downloads, starts the install, and then fails saying that the required from her update could not be installed, compatible internal storage is required. The machine has been upgraded to a OWC 2 TB internal memory, which I have removed and reinstalled the 256 GB Apple original still says the same thing. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Mac Pro, macOS 11.7

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 12:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 2:31 PM

For firmware upgrade the drive must be an Apple drive. If you've replaced it with an 3rd party drive you'll have to put the Apple drive back in and update. Then replace the drive again and install the system update again.

9 replies

Dec 16, 2022 2:29 PM in response to Fstop65

Starting in Monterey - the Installation process includes an EFI Boot ROM from Apple as part of the Monterey Installation.

The Process verifies if the Internal Drive is an Apple Original Drive.

If it does Not Find an Apple Original Drive - the installation will baulk or fail

The Boot ROM needs to Flash the Computer and not the Drive itself.

Until thos conditions are met - No Installation on Monterey.

Workaround. Swap the OWC Out and replace with Apple Original.

Run the Monterey to that drive.

Once that is done, reverse the above Swapping of Drives and run Monterey to that drive.

This should work but a pain in the . . .

Dec 16, 2022 5:47 PM in response to PRP_53

Unfortunately, I tried that already. It let me upgrade as far as Big Sur which I was able to do on the 2 TB also. Even with the Apple drive-in it’s still balked. I wound up sending the Apple drive back to OWC. As they , were unable to come up with a better solution, they suggested a different Apple 256 Drive which I just received today… Apparently they think the first one came out of a iMac and the one that they sent me today is from a Mac pro 6.1 system like mine. Fingers crossed.

Dec 17, 2022 9:32 AM in response to PRP_53

The replacement drive from OWC arrived yesterday. It allowed me to do an Internet restore/install of Mojave. Once that happened, I was able to update to Monterey with no more issues swapped back to the 2 TB drive and no issues at all. Thank you everyone for your help.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Upgrading Mac Pro 2013 to Monterrey fails, won’t upgrade to necessary firmware…

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.