Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation lock removal declined. All papers aren't enough

I had my uncle try out an iPhone 8 of mine. When he told me he wasn't a fan of Apple devices and it was just too hard for him to blend in with all the features I wiped the phone but then the activation lock came out. Year later now I remembered this situation. Asked my uncle about all the Apple ID stuff he made, but he forgot them already, we did try resetting everything with no luck, Apple generated some iCloud email we can't get back to at all.

So I made an activation lock removal ticket over here at Apple and provided all the information with all the papers I got from purchasing the phone, but apparently it wasn't enough.

How can I remove this lock when Apple doesn't care about this and declines every ticket? How come all the papers I got from the purchase that are the only proof of purchase AREN'T ENOUGH?!

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 3:12 PM

Apple is not specific as to what currently constitutes "proof" but prior to the introduction of the unlocking service it used to be the original receipt submitted by the person who bought the device. Oh, it also had to be an Apple receipt or Apple Authorized reseller, not a third party retailer. If you submitted the request then that's not proof you now legally own the device. If the receipt is in the Uncle's name then he has to submit it, and the communications will likely go to the Apple ID he has been using with them. Or if your uncle had died it would have to be court documentation saying you are now the owner. Or so is my understanding of it. I have never used the service so you are more familiar with the details of the process than the little I can glean without actually having a locked device.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2022 3:12 PM in response to unhol

Apple is not specific as to what currently constitutes "proof" but prior to the introduction of the unlocking service it used to be the original receipt submitted by the person who bought the device. Oh, it also had to be an Apple receipt or Apple Authorized reseller, not a third party retailer. If you submitted the request then that's not proof you now legally own the device. If the receipt is in the Uncle's name then he has to submit it, and the communications will likely go to the Apple ID he has been using with them. Or if your uncle had died it would have to be court documentation saying you are now the owner. Or so is my understanding of it. I have never used the service so you are more familiar with the details of the process than the little I can glean without actually having a locked device.

Activation lock removal declined. All papers aren't enough

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.